ad: dxeng

Has WRTC run its course?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not talking about the contesters....LOL. There are lots of ops that are just as good at handling traffic as the top contesters, but do not have the means to build a contest station....that would be the definition of an also-ran. I guess. Like I said, I'm trying to be objective, and I can see it from both sides. It's a cool event, and I never heard of it before.

2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

WRTC is a great event. I know (KL7A and N6MJ) the team that won the contest before the most recent one and placed in the top 3 the last time. They are both young and both their operating (phone and CW) and technical skills are excellent. I attended WRTC when it was held in the San Francisco Bay area in the 90s. Great times meeting hams from all over the world. It is an event that brings hundreds of hams--not just competitors, judges etc--together. Many hams with zero involvement in contesting pitch in to make the event a success. What is there to not like about such an event?":

N0NB, K4AGO, WG7X and 2 others like this.
  3. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

They battle computer malfunctions, getting lost, and staying at the top of their game for 24 hours in a hot, stuffy tent. The final scores bring surprises, disappointments, even a recount, and decades-long friendships will be stressed in the fight for the crown of amateur radio--the ultimate ''contact'' sport.

OK then, do you like gladiator movies? Even been to a Turkish prison?

K4AGO likes this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course, not everyone will enjoy it ... and since your QRZ profile says you're just a "casual" operator --and find contests "boring" -- it's not surprising that you wouldn't find it interesting.

But for anyone who finds contesting interesting, it's a fascinating look at what it's like to be a "big gun" operator in WRTC.
    ;)

WU8Y and N2SR like this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it very much in principle. I don't doubt the qualities and skills of the participants.

I have not been following the WRTC admin/politics lately, so here are a few questions based on past events:

How are they dealing with the use of remote stations during qualifications?
    Why allow TL's to pick a teammate that did not qualify for the event?
    Why allow people to operate super stations they don't own to qualify? Even worse, some will change super stations based on the qualifying contests.

The event itself may be at a level playing field, the qualifying is certainly not. I know, life is not fair, just ask West Coast contesters.:D:D:D

I'll admit that I'm out of my depth here, so have a go, but be nice.;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

One more reason for me not to contest.

K4AGO and ND6M like this.
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm shallow. So maybe if there were at least some nudity, sex, violence, drugs, and "adult language" it might have held my attention past ten pages.

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

One does not need to go for the 'jugular', but it can be fun.

I don't care about the 'politics', but it's great for working DX, testing one's station, honing one's skills.

Contests allow for 'sub-contests'. 'Compete' within your club, with your friends, or against yourself from one year to the next.

One nice development in contesting, I think, is the real time online scoreboard.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    N0NB and N2SR like this.
  9. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

As it seems now, you may use a remote station. However, if you use a remote station that is not in your geographic area (for example, if you are a station in California, using a remote in Maine is using a remote that is not in your geographic area), you are limited in the number of contests where you can claim a qualifying score that is not from your home geographic area - the current proposed number is four.

This is a bit of a subjective question. Having team leaders only select team leaders feels a bit odd and seems to force pairings that would not be the choice of the team leader. IIRC, N6MJ qualified as a team leader and KL9A did not. Yet Chris was a pretty damned good team mate for Dan. N4YDU qualified as a team leader and chose N3KS who did very little operating during the qualification period. The team of N4YDU/N3KS did a pretty good job as well.

Guest operating has always been permitted. Same thing could be said for using remote stations.

West coast contesters do well in certain events and east coast contesters do well in certain events. The qualifying criteria is as level as they can get it given the massive diversity in 1) geography, 2) population, and 3) skill levels. Its it perfect? No. Will it ever be perfect? Doubtful. You can't please everybody 100% of the time. Hell, people complain about College Football playoffs, NFL playoffs, World Cup, etc.

N2SR likes this.
  10. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

There is plenty of drugs, violence and adult language in contesting. Nudity. I hope not.

N4QX likes this.