Has WRTC run its course?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I happened to come across that at the local public library a couple of weeks ago, and checked it out.

I got to about page ten before I got totally bored with it. One thing more boring than an HF contest, is a book about an HF contest.

ND6M likes this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point. Boring in the beginning, but if you persevere it gets better.;)

But again, if you have not interest in the topic, as it seems to be the case, it may not get any better.:D

WU8Y and KS2G like this.
  3. VA3VF

What do you mean by "real" Olympics? Doping? State sponsored fraud? Professional athletes? Corporate control?

I'm sure that's not what you meant, but it's what we currently have.

By the way, a regular citizen can/could participate. Ever heard of the Jamaican Olympic bobsled team?:D

What about athletes that are 'purchased' by participating countries with instant citizenship, and other benefits, to increase their chances of winning medals?

"Real" Olympics alright.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

7.200??....
    (Ymmv)

5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I always like the East German women's weightlifting team.

6. VA3VF

Yep...sorry.;)

Back in my hole, where I should stay permanently.:(

KD8DEY likes this.
  7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

They are soooo HOTT

8. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

KJ4VTH and K4PIH like this.
  9. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a cool idea....have the best contesters compete in one place, to "level the playing field". The total score is based on operating skills alone. That's an interesting idea. But that not how the WRTC defines itself:

"The World Radiosport Team Championship – WRTC in short – represents a large gathering of the world’s best in radio traffic "

I suppose you could make a case for contesting as being a way of handling "radio traffic", although I wouldn't define swapping callsigns and signal reports as handling traffic. There are plenty of other operators handling formal traffic, that have been trained in that area, and are pretty good. I am NOT one of them, so I have no dog in the fight. From an objective standpoint though, can't you see how publishing that statement on their website could piss more than a few people off?

10. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really. Most good contesters that I know actually got their start in formal traffic handling. Accuracy, speed, and efficiency were the hallmarks of the old NTS nets. Many a top flight contester spent hours in the NTS cycles.

WG7X, WU8Y, N2SR and 1 other person like this.