Has WRTC run its course?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Jan 11, 2019 at 4:07 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The drums are already beating about the 2022 WRTC in Italy.

Has this event run its course?

Seems like an inbred group of about 400 hams competes each time so that about half of them can travel and play field day for a day, at the expense of thousands of other hams and clubs who will never have a "snowballs" chance to attend.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K3XR, KK5JY, N6HCM and 3 others like this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee Hans,

Why don’t you ask this question on the CQ-CONTEST reflector? I’ll bet you’d get a LOT of answers, especially from the majority of the inbred who inhabit the reflector.

Assuming that the reflector mods let your query through their censorship, er, review.
    - - - - -
    Seriously,

Yeah, the WRTC has over the years gone from a fun little operating event over bragging rights to a cut-throat competition that has had a negative impact on contesting and the contesting community & it’s reputation. Has it’s run it’s course? Well, the original concept has long been abandoned, IMHO. The current flavor of it... nah. We don’t need it, but those who think they benefit from it will not let it go.

K8PG likes this.
  4. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Boy there seems to be a lot of bitching in here...

KQ9J, KA4DPO, WU8Y and 2 others like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Some
    I had no idea what it even was - had to Google it

Not a big group it would seem

Dave
    W7UUU

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

For the last WRTC in Germany, there were 64 two-person teams. Each team had a referee. There was the local organizing committee, and the volunteers. OC and volunteers probably amounted to about 400 hams. Then there were judges and the WRTC sanctioning committee. On top of that, were the DXers and contesters who came to Germany just to be there. The little town of Lutherstadt-Wittenberg was over run with hams for an entire week.

7. W7UUU

Wow! Fascinating.... what an unusual approach to Amateur Radio. Had no idea

Someone gave me a blue Yaesu WRTC baseball cap that I like to wear.... had no idea what it was all about LOL!

Dave
    W7UUU

8. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my WRTC hat (and shirt). Next one is in Ferrara, Italy in 2022.

9. W7UUU

Will they finally allow refueling during pit stops and no longer require rear wing widening, brake duct restrictions, tire color changes, biometric gloves, and rear wing end-plate lights? Whew!!! Thank Goodness!! Go Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen!!

Oh wait... FERRARA... I was thinking FERRARI and Formula One :p:D

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO and N4NYK like this.
  10. WE4B

WE4B Subscriber QRZ Page

This young man, KG5HVO, who is a member of one of the clubs that I and my ham daughter attend participated in the 2018 event. Bryant is an excellent CW op and it's youth like him that will help keep amateur radio relevant. He has an amazing family that supports his ham activities. Events such as this give hams of all ages an opportunity to experience things that most folks never get to experience. Since I have a kiddo that is very active with amateur radio, I think events such as this should continue to exist as they allow youth to participate and to gain valuable life experiences.

K4AGO, NL7W, K2CAJ and 4 others like this.