ad: w5yi

Has the TS-2000 improved much?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE3TMT, Apr 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi gang,

Looking at adding a TS-2000 in the shack. I had one many years ago, and from what I recall the VHF/UHF receive was terrible on it and I ended up doing the preamp mod which helped a bit.

I also believe there were filter issues for certain models.

I have a chance to grab a unit that is just over a year and a half old, serial # 71xxxxxxx

Do Kenwood work out all the bugs on the later produced models, or is it something to stay away from?

Max
    VE3TMT

2. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Same rig, same specs. Only thing changed is a few components had to be subbed because they were no longer available. I would not buy a new 2000 and would only get one used if cheap to play with. While it is IF DSP it is very early design and lacking in performance. I would love to see Kenwood reboot model as a 2100 with modern technology.

K9ASE likes this.
  3. VE3TMT

I've since found out, the current owner bought it a year and a half ago from the original owner, it looks to be a 2005 model. I've got an FT-1000 Field now, which I know has a far superior receiver, just looking to downsize with an all-in-one radio. If I could only find someone to trade an FT-991 for it!

4. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd really like to get another on cheap also. I added the INRAD SSB filter to mine and it made a big difference.

5. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the filter issue was sorted from late 2009 models ie. you should be safe in that respect with 2010 models and later. Info is on the net if you do a bit of digging.

6. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The bipolar driver and final transistors for HF through 2M that used to blow out of you looked at them wrong were replaced with MOSFET's at some point. I have a circa 2001 TS-2000X that the transistors failed on after a power outage. I desoldered them out and just use the rig on 432 and 1296 MHz now (which is what I bought it for anyway).

7. WD8T

WD8T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used one for a year and never ever liked the tiny little buttons and seemingly endless layers of menus. I'll never own another.\

I'll add - I did have fun playing with the Sky Command feature. It was nice being able to do yard work and listen in on HF.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  8. KK4PGH

KK4PGH Ham Member QRZ Page

I just received mine in the mail. I got mine for around the same price as a 706MKIIG.

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had one for 12 years now, blew a 1972 driver and replaced the pair about 8 years ago, no problems since or before. It's a little long in the tooth now, and it's the Swiss Army knife of radios (like many others out there) which means it does everything, but it's doesn't do any one of those things particularity well.

Still, I have run it mobile using a D700 head as the remote, I have done sat contacts with it, VHF/UHF SSB, and lots of HF. These days it's mostly used by me for 2M FM, which is overkill I guess. It's a tank, glad I have had it all these years bu I doubt I'd drop $1k+ into a new one these days, there are too many other choices.

Steve
    KV6O

10. VE3TMT

Thanks for all the tips guys.