ad: Schulman-1

Has HF Phone always been this disgusting...?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Aug 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm more thinking Dick Bash.

2. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget that many Supreme Court decisions centering around "free" speech (mostly related to broadcast media) have pretty much decimated the FCC's ability to regulate the foul language you will find on today's bands. They can go after non compliance with ID requirements, jamming, etc. but otherwise they will lose in court. And, I remember hearing some weird stuff on 75M back when I was a teen. I avoid SSB on 75 unless it is in the DX windows.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Always wear headphones when listening to HF if your wife or children are in the room.

Learn to spin the dial quick.

You may hear whisky talking 24/7.

K0UO likes this.
  4. K6JJR

K6JJR Ham Member QRZ Page

As a young ham in the mid 1960s, I listened to phone a lot. It wasnt that trashy, just the occasional rude comment. I did hear an on-air meeting of the KKK once.
    These days I dont use SSB. I dont care to hear all the politics and vulgar language. So its CW only for me. My 2c worth.

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The FAA published its' questions and anwers nearly a decade before Dick Bash. Every US airline captain today got all his ratings that way. It's not about publishing, it's about the quality of the test questions and answers.

Don't blame Dick Bash for anything.

K0UO and ND6M like this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

listen to 7.200 during the afternoon, there lots of CW on there:rolleyes:

7. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I very much prefer to work CW or digital. If I'm on a voice mode, it's usually either for a contest or 2m FM chatting with some friends. But, like a lot of hams, I do a lot of listening, mostly SSB.

SSB is not a total wasteland. The 7163 group is pretty welcoming. Bandhoppers are a cool group, too (I'm #109...). EastCARS/MidCARS/SouthCARS, too. However, I heard something very disappointing yesterday.

Listening in the Extra portion of 40m. There was a VK working there, with a really good signal. However, he was on the regular frequency of a group of friends that meet there every morning. The friends group came on and started working right on top of the VK. They knew he was there, because they made comments about it. But he was there first...... These guys aren't beginners. They're all experienced, extra class hams. Disappointing.

8. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am with you...On this one...However this a term called "Social cognitive"

I lived in or short stays of 708 countries, and you will find behavior, believes, traditions is governed by region, and the transfer of these values, and even traits is due to "Social cognitive" effect, basically, your neighbor rubs off on you.

It seems to be the same on Ham radio, but rather than region governing the behavior, it is what frequency you are on...In general 80 Meters, seem to "region" if you will for the above behavior, but on 20 meters, much cleaner, and civil...

So it seems that Hams have the social cognitive effect but partition by bands.

My point being, if you wish to work SSB, I believe 20 meters, or 17 meters are still civil!

Cheers

NN2X, Tom

N7BKV likes this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I find great HF operators and have fun QSOs all the high frequency bands, everyday.
    Ignore the Lids and get on and have some fun!

10. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard it a couple times, but by and large HF Phone has been sounding OK. I've enjoyed doing it very much on 10M this summer. It was a thrill talking all the way up to Canada with a wire, sitting at my little desk.

KG4KAH likes this.