Has HF Phone always been this disgusting...?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Aug 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

I work mostly CW on 40. But a few months ago I installed a FT-450D and vertical ant to work CW on other banks. Worked VK with it on 20 as I mentioned earlier. But since I have this talk-box I thought I might as well find what's out there on SSB.

Well, there are a few good things I ran into. The Noontime Net, California Traffic Net, a sprinkling of friendly folks. But mainly the conversations seem to be caustic spews of profanity and racism.

Is this now the real HF phone Ham Radio? CB I could understand that. But Amateur Radio?

I took the microphone off and put it back in the parts drawer.

Back to sending on the key....

Real radio. Real men and women.

AJ6KZ, N2SUB, K5VZD and 1 other person like this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know !! The only rig I have that does SSB, is an ICOM-735 that I bought brand-new 30 years ago. I've made exactly 5 contacts on SSB with it in 30 years !! I don't even listen to SSB (or AM) on it. Those 5 contacts (over the years) were made just before a hurricane hit us, just to test it out for possible emergency use.

I do have a Swan 500CX w/a outboard 410C vfo, but, it's a dedicated 40m CW rig for QRO. (I don't even have a mic for it).

With my type of hearing-loss, sustained during service in Vietnam (65-67), SSB just doesn't work for me. I've been 100 per-cent CW for over 58 years. (RIT is my friend)

I've read about 'stuff' that goes on, on SSB, but, have not heard it, because I don't ever tune there.

If I were younger & more tolerant of bad operating, I might use SSB, but, at 72 years young, I don't have time for any "lid" type of activity. YMMV

Brian,... we need to get together & have a CW QSO. I'd like to work you.

77 (Long Live CW) es 72/73
    dit dit

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    N7BKV likes this.
  3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't hear much of that. There are known "cesspool frequencies" and they tend to be some of the most active so are easy to find, but if you avoid those - 14.313 and 7200 mainly - that kind of thing, in my experience, is fairly uncommon. Not "rare" exactly, but far from the rule.

KJ6KHP, W0RIO, W9RAC and 3 others like this.
  4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this another "mode snobbery" post, or just one where the OP wants everyone to do ham radio his way?

Either way the result is the same as is the question that results: If (fill in the blank) ham radio is not your cup of tea, why then do you deride those who do (fill in the blank)?

No mode of operation is pure these days; it's a reflection of our society in general. That and the relaxed entry qualifications for Amateur radio these days.

So if any other mode than CW offends you, by all means stay off of that mode and remain pure, OK?

You will feel better and so will the rest of hamdom. Having said that, I do realize that this is "da Zed" and complaining about our brethren is a normal thing here. So carry on regardless!

M6GYU, KD2RON and N2AMM like this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

<---

KE4OH likes this.
  6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

really? where are you listening? in all my 30 years of ham radio i have never heard racism and very, very little profanity and certainly not the BIG profanity words...

WB5YUZ likes this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of the phone bands are fine. They are like a town - avoid the bad neighborhoods!

KJ6KHP, KD4MOJ, PY2RAF and 4 others like this.
  8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it hasn't always been this way. The 'phone bands began sounding like that in the '80s and '90s as the exams got easier and a large number of ops, only a very small fraction of which demonstrate the behavior in question, drifted into Amateur radio from another service.

Before then, that kind of behavior got your license yanked pretty much every time.

As others have said, it's only certain groups that tend to hang out on certain frequencies (mostly in the General Class sub-bands). Avoid them and all should be good.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

GARBAGE IN...GARBAGE OUT!

K0UO likes this.
  10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

https://earlyradiohistory.us/1917verm.htm

Irving Vermilya, 1ZE, W1ZE, first US licensed ham, wrote about on air name calling, jamming, threats, Spoofed callsigns, interference between hams, navy radiomen and marine operators in the NYC area before 1912.

Nothing new under the sun, or on the ham bands.

KB4GTR, K0UO, K2CD and 7 others like this.