Has FT8 effectively killed JT65?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KC5RR, Nov 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RSID is transmitted briefly before your main transmission starts and it identifies the mode (such as Olivia) and submode (such as 16/500). This lets people know what mode you're using and generally results in more replies to your CQs.

2. KW4TJ

KW4TJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 has the same problem as JT65...too many aholes. You send them their signal report then they dump you without sending your report.....very classy. The only ahole free mode in ham radio is WSRP. Sad.....

3. KW4TJ

KW4TJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Another problem with FT8 is all the stations won't allow my radio VOX to close on receive. For me that's the FT8 killer. It is too fast to use PTT....

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Only because it's mostly one way, beacon mode. Try a QSO to see if the premise holds.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2017
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Are you talking about TX/RX switching time? I would think most modern transceivers, say last 10 years, are ok. I use a 15+ years old IC-718, no problem with either vox or PTT.

6. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he means he is manually pressing PTT, but is struggling with the speed, 1 day he will realize PTT is automatic if its set up.Or he could turn down the volume to allow vox to close. (shrug)

KS4W likes this.