ad: vanity

Has FT8 effectively killed JT65?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KC5RR, Nov 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

AGN AGN every 15 seconds still better than AGN AGN every minute.:D

KB2SMS likes this.
  2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a guy "RRR" me eight or ten times today. My replies are out there in the ether whether he caught them or not. ;)

3. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll accept an "RRR" 2-3 times then end it. I'm not going to spend more time than that on a contact. Conditions change and I have no control over that and neither does the other guy/gal. It can go on and on and on and.....

4. VA3VF

I do more or less the same at any point during the QSO. If no indication whatsoever of a signal back, 2 repeats. If I see an indication the other station is still there, 4 repeats.

5. VA3VF

In the 'early' days of FT8, I suggested that the watchdog timer should not be higher than 2 or 3 minutes (4-6 TX cycles). What you describe is really annoying, and would not happen with a shorter watchdog timer maximum.

ND6M likes this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree 1000%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can't even click a mouse once every 4 minutes, then you have other issues.

There are many LIDS out there that just let it run, and run, and run.................. ect.:mad::mad:

I saw a DL station the other day that did it for over 45 minutes.

Perhaps some of the "auto" functions SHOULD be looked at closely. (Hint, Hint)

The operating requirements for EME Vs terrestrial QSO"s is very different.

7. K0IVK

K0IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use FT8 regularly(840 QSOs so far) because of the faster speed, but with poor antennas on a city lot I also greatly miss JT65 for working DX. Most the Asian DX I have worked was on JT65. That extra few dB advantage on JT65 always made the difference for those of us without a super' contest station'. Also I think I've already worked most the active users of FT8(that I can copy). Hopefully the new will wear off and everyone will realize why they liked JT65 and JT9 was because of the sensitivity. Actually JT9 was a much better mode but never 'caught on' like JT65. Regardless,'Hats Off' to Joe Taylor for coming up with all the modes. Before JT65, I was about 95% CW, but now have more options.

K2MOB and K6CLS like this.
  8. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I began digital work on PSK31, but became an early adopter of JT-65. Got ARRL WAS 20-40-80M for JT-65 and then jumped ship for FT-8, getting WAS there also. Intention was to go back to PSK31, but it's not nearly as busy as before. JT-65 might be even quieter still. This is unfortunate because we're in a very weak period of the solar cycle and it may be the best bet for DX'ing now.

As hams, we probably need to organize 'special modes' weekends or contests. I entered the hobby too late for the heyday of RTTY and other earlier modes but would be interested in trying them if a whole bunch of people dusted off their older modes.

KC5RR likes this.
  9. KC5RR

KC5RR Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt the older modes will come back, but I think CW has been declared dead several times, yet thrives.

10. PA2REH

PA2REH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really wonder why FT8 is so popular. Is it just the desire to have as many Q's in the log no matter what? I think it's fun to work just nice stations all over the world. JT9 is still my favorite because the snr ratio is better, the band is not that busy and you can really work nice dx (you still can). I hear mni stns, also from the US, with FT8 just calling and calling, but not working that much. They're only replying to the stronger sigs. Guys be aware, you're missing a lot of nice DX when you're stuck to FT8

KC5RR likes this.