Has digital voice fulfillled its promise to "bring life to dead repeaters everywhere"?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KC2SIZ, May 15, 2020.

?

Has digital voice fulfillled its promise to "bring life to dead repeaters everywhere"?

1. Yes, it has.

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. No. People use the internet to access reflectors / groups....not repeaters. DV is a repeater killer.

21 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. I don't know.

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, but it has given life to lifeless discussions!

N2AMM, WC5P, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you listened to Fusion? You may find it acceptable.

They all get bad with poor radio circuit, or packet loss. Dstar is certainly the worst on marginal conditions. And even in the best conditions. ..

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is something to be said for wide area networks that provide coverage outside the normal repeater coverage. We have a great system in this area, N3KZ...see their website. The system is 100% analog and no internet connection I am aware of.

I chose to try Yaesu Fusion when it came to digital voice. I find the fusion audio to be less than desirable. It's a great APRS/analog radio. Excuse the repetition, mentioned previously. Why digital voice in ham radio can't sound at least as good as cell phone audio is a mystery. I guess it has something to do with cost but you don't purchase the top of the line Yaesu for a couple of cereal box tops.

4. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And that's a pretty low bar to clear.

W5ESE and K3XR like this.
  5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Got a Yaesu FTM-400xd a few years ago and used Fusion only a few times and basically I think it sucks, the audio quality that is. Haven't used it on Fusion for at least that long.

It sounds like a high speed circular saw.

K3XR likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought Fusion was a Ford. Could that be why it does not work very well ?

OnStar and AllStar seem to work fine.

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it mostly has to do with the fascination with minimal bandwidth, a carryover from the commercial radio industry where it is a real issue. There would be nothing stopping amateurs from using a 25K channel. There would be enough room there for fantastic audio.

K3XR likes this.
  8. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

Still prefer basic FM simplex.

KC2SIZ and K3XR like this.
  9. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about any promises that digital voice would bring life to dead repeaters. I do think in general internet linking and digital voice have contributed in some ways to activity on repeaters. I don't monitor every day and I only started listening more frequently to the repeaters this year. Here in the Austin area, outside of drive times I don't hear much on the analog repeater systems. My antennas aren't good enough to really judge FM simplex. The local linked repeater that is part of the Win System is fairly active. Usually when I am out driving the other two places I hear conversations is the Win System linked machine (mostly folk in 6-land chatting) and the C4FM machine. I throw my call out on .52 often but so far only one caller, again not a very good mobile antenna .

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

DIGI Voice is more to bring money to the radio manufacturers because you can't copy the modes with the old FM rigs that everyone already has.