Has anyone used the Kenwood 2M TM-225A radio for FT8

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K4ZOT, Aug 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4ZOT

K4ZOT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a nice 2M TM-225A radio that I would like to use on FT8. If anyone has actually used this radio on FT8, I would very much like to read your specific method of doing it. The radio does have a packet DIN connector on the rear, but I am not sure it can be used for FT8. I am looking at the MFJ-1204 USB Radio Interface w/SC as a possible solution using the mic connector as the input.

I would appreciate any information from Hams who are already using the TM-225A on FT8.

The DIN connector 6 pins out are: GND, Data Out 1200 bps, Data out 9600 bps, SQL, PTT and Data In.

Thanks,

Glenn
    K4ZOT

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. 4X1SO

4X1SO Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you mean TM-255A, the multi-mode mobile rig?

3. K4ZOT

I had made a correction, but it disappeared? Yes, it is a TM-255A.

Glenn

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5. K4ZOT

I put this project on the back burner due to other activities. But, I now have some renewed interest. My only remaining question is: Is it possible to CAT the TM-255A radio. I believe the SignaLink should control all the other FT8 factors, as stated above, but how do you CAT this radio which was not design for CAT? Any help is appreciated in this ongoing effort.

Glenn

K4ZOT

6. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have oneAs well - Short of a really complex modification I don’t see how you’ll get the frequency info out of the radio, the rest is straightforward and can be accomplished through the mic plug or mini din. Do you have the manual for it? I only have a scanned copy and it’s missing a coupe of pages.

7. K4ZOT

I checked with Kenwood and they said the radio can not be CAT. Great radio, but I was hoping to use it on FT8.

8. AB6RF

AB6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't need CAT control to run FT8.
    Even less so with a single-band rig.
    Not saying it wouldn't add some value, but it's far from being required.