Has anyone tried the IC-7300 Wide Band modification for 630m transmit?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by W7UUU, Oct 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No. I want it to be 472 KHz tall

Dave
    W7UUU

KA9JLM, WJ4U and AG5CK like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting but I'm guessing that there would be no filtering at that frequency. Probably worth incorporating an external filter???

W7UUU and W1ADE like this.
  3. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

W1TRY, W1ADE and W7UUU like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's pretty cool! Are you using one? If so, how's it working for you?

Dave
    W7UUU

5. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Just found it on random search.

W7UUU likes this.
  6. W7UUU

Still hoping to hear from someone who may have tried this very simple-to-implement mod to the IC-7300. I do think a proper filter network on the output would indeed be in order.... just cuz it could transmit on 472 KHz via opening up the PLL/synthesizer, doesn't mean the "rest of the RF chain" ever planned to have that happen.

Dave
    W7UUU

W1ADE likes this.
  7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

So you can open the transmitter freq limits, but is there a TX filter that can pass a signal out on 472-478 Khz, to the antenna ?
    I can receive on the low band but no TX signal goes out there, on 2 of my rigs !

8. N7GWA

N7GWA Ham Member QRZ Page

9. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's interesting. I found the SWR indicator on the 706Mk2 to be relatively accurate by comparison with what the 7300 seems to show. The MK2 still requires a low-pass filter on the output though, and the MK2 would also only do about 5 W RF out *but* nothing seemed to be straining (i.e. excessive current draw, radio chassis getting hot etc.). It just "runs out of gas" going that low in frequency.

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I can imagine the price of WW2 surplus aircraft radios for VLF, Just shooting up higher and higher !