ad: AbAuRe-1

Has anyone successfully used a TARGETuner , with a scorpion sa 6-160?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AA0AE, Nov 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AA0AE

AA0AE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been trying to get this combination to work. Primarily to get the memory tuning to work. Any help would be appreciated!
    Dave
    AA0AE

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They are finicky! If anyone asks me what to use, I say the TuneMatic.

This is an issue near and dear to my heart. No one currently does the operation correctly. Everyone it seems, tries to be everything to everybody. That is why all of the current controllers (except one) have jog buttons. You don't need jog buttons, especially so if you do a decent job of matching the antenna—Scorpion does that correctly.

In retrospect, the best of the best was the BetterRF unit for the 7000. It could have been designed to operate with other brands and models, had it not been for the owners arguing, resulting in the dissolution of the company. How simple was it? Change frequencies, push the tune button on the transceiver, and wallah! It did require programming, but even that was automated before the demise. Too bad really.

3. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a WMR TARGETuner with my Scorpion SA-680. The issue is the moving part of the antenna can rotate so the coil relative to the fingerstock contact point can vary slightly over up down travel. You can use memories to store points but they'll be off frequency a bit, although slightly. The SWR positioning works fairly well.

I also have a BetterRF 7000 but i have never installed it. I still use the Targetune as it works well for my needs too.

K4PP