Has anyone sent a QSL request to Tajikistan

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N6PAT, Jan 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a QSO with EY7AD and want to request a QSL card but according to his QRZ page he requires Direct via registered mail only.

I checked the USPS info for mailing to Tajikistan and they say:

Prohibitions include:

Coins; bank notes; currency notes (paper money); securities of any kind payable to bearer; traveler’s checks; platinum, gold, or silver (manufactured or not); precious stones, jewelry; and other valuable articles.

If cash is not allowed how do you send the $ for return postage? You have to fill out a customs form so I'm not going to try to send cash. IRC's are not accepted by many DX hams and he doesn't list an email address so I cannot use Paypal .

Has anyone gotten a QSL card from Tajikistan and if so how did you go about it? FedEx, UPS, etc.?

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't do registered mail. What I do is find someone else to work. EY8MM via K1BV and UA4WHX when he operated there.

One thing I've noticed is that often times the guys with modest stations will be the easiest to get a DXCC confirmation.
    They may just have 100 watts and a modest antenna but are prompt electronic QSLers.
    It can be well worth straining to work the weak ones.
    I find it isn't that hard because the weak one rarely have pileups. The pileups are on the louder stations and the weak ones go begging.

Zak W1VT

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    PY2RAF and WA9SVD like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it possible to prepurchase the appropriate postage requirement from their post office ahead of time and include it with your card?

4. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was able to purchase Tajikistan stamps online so I won't have to worry about sending $ for the return postage

WZ7U likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hopefully the rate is current. Cuba just went from 0.90 CUP to 20.00 CUP !!!! That's still not much to the Western World, though. (about 80c US)

6. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but not many
    UJ8KA, UJ8JK IN 1992 via Bureau
    EY8MM IN 08 AND 14 Via K1BV & LoTW
    I worked a few others, including EY7AD but don't need them on the bands they were worked.
    Good luck.

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K9DY

K9DY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the same problem with getting a QSL from EY7AD. He doesn't have an email address to ask his advice. I think USPS registered might get it there, but I can't find a return mail service in Tajikistan. DHL or UPS maybe, but how much is postage? It looks like the only way is to hand deliver it to him.
    EY8MM hasn't been spotted for over a month, and the month before that he was only spotted on 6 meters running FT8. Maybe our Russian friends can do a DXpedition there.

9. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

US postal is not delivering mail to Cuba right now.

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

if you dont have friends in Africa, Japan, VK or ZL or many countries in Europe who don't have this problem, ask another ham in any of these areas to act as an intermediary mail drop.