ad: w5yi

Has Anyone Made Contacts Via Digital Modes on 2 Meters?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KN4ICU, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

Has Anyone Made Contacts Via Digital Modes on 2 Meters? Just something I was curious about. I have an old laptop laying around and wondered if that was realistic on that band.

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Do APRS text messages count? I've communicated with those, as well as the more common APRS position reports. And I know many people use packet on 2m.

I have no experience with the various weak signal soundcard modes on 2m.

3. K4VLF

K4VLF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. We have done a fair amount of testing PSK waveforms over a local FM repeater. I forget which data rate we used, but maybe 128 (bits or bytes or symbols?) Works great - moves a lot of text very fast. We used FLDIGI.
    The only downfall was that one transmition ties up the entire frequency and repeater that you are using. Meaning, PSK31 is nominal 6khz? wide (FM mode), versus the 31 hertz when in SSB mode.
    So it is not efficient bandwidth wise, but it works FB.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does Packet count?

5. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it is done all the time. You can try weak signal or EME using digital JT65B. JT65 is good for weak Tropo. Others are using MSK144 for meteor scatter communications. You need WSJT software and an SSB capable radio and interface and PC and you are good to go.

If you need some help to get it working go to pingjockey.net and introduce yourself. There are some good guys there who would be glad to show you how to get things sorted.

KN4OK likes this.
  6. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All the time! All SSB weak signal! WSJT gets a workout here.

KN4OK likes this.
  7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. On 2m and 432 I heard FT8 during last year's VHF sprints here in the Pacific NW. There was a guy further south of me that was trying SSTV on 2m, but I think he was pretty much alone in that endeavor.

JT4 is popular for EME on 2m, and I've seen a few skeds for meteorscatter on 2m.

8. NA1S

NA1S Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequency? I would like to monitor to see if there is any activity around my area. Thanks.

9. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

KL7AJ was asking if Packet Counts. Years ago, I made extensive use of AX.25 ( standard Packet ) and APRS on 2 meters. The applications included working with auto rally scoring ( as an experiment ) around Park Rapids, Mn. and bolstering emergency communications for the American Red Cross after several large-scale disasters.
    Most large cities still have various groups such as ARES, CERT, etc. who use AX.25 because it has error correction built in. Not so with some of the 'sound-card' modes such as PSK31, which tend to be more popular on HF. Why? You are allowed less bandwidth which usually equates to less speed in BPS on HF. Typical Packet speeds on HF (AX.25) are 300 BPS. 1200 to 9600 are more likely on VHF to UHF. This does not mean that there are not exceptions, only that the higher in frequency bands you go, the faster you may be able to pass data. The problem is that VHF and UHF links are mostly line-of-sight, except for repeater linking ( which is somewhat rare except in emergencies ) and Internet Linking ( see information about Wires and other types ). I hope this helps.