ad: M2Ant-1

Has Anyone Ever Seen a JW Miller MD-8 Dual Speed Vernier Dial?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA9WFA, Oct 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA9WFA

WA9WFA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Scott KA9P, Thanks for your comments about my HBR13 and info on your receiver project! First I would be curious to hear your report of the Junior Miser's Dream that you built. I think that is in the 67 handbook as well. What do you think of the performance?

On the HB-67, what are you planning to use for the AGC transformer? The original uses a 10K primary to 40K push-pull secondary.

Gads, that Miller Slide Rule Dial is still in the original packaging. What a beauty! I have a used one and they look nice. The Eddystone 898 that I used in my HBR-13 is a wonderful dial. It was a challenge to incorporate into my HBR-13 but it may be one of the finest dials ever made. I passed up an opportunity to buy a NOS one from a close friend because I thought I was done with tubes. I'd snap it up today.

I just bought 3 Jackson Bros dual speed 6:1/36:1 drives so I got lucky. The escutcheon is similar to the HB-67 and would look great on my HB-67. Your Miller drive will also look like a million bucks.

You built a Progressive Receiver???? I have been studying the SS Progressive Receiver and was planning to build it next but after having such great performance with my 3 Tube Mate for the Mighty Midget, I've decided to stick with tubes for one more project and build the HB-67. I think the Cascode IF amplifiers should be great, and I like the thought of IF derived AGC. I want to PM you and talk details.

Thanks. 73, Scott WA9WFA

2. WA9WFA

I just checked out KA9P's QRZ page. He is a master radio builder, has built several sophisticated radios, and is building both tube and solid state. Wow! I hope I can consult with him on my newbie builds.

73, Scott WA9WFA

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Siltronix I remember simply had two regular Jackson Bros drives in cascade. Same with the Galaxy V and others of the era.
    Works great but it takes up space.

KA9P likes this.
  4. WA9WFA

I have a Jackson Bros dual speed vernier now, 6:1, 36:1. The 36:1 is sweet for tuning a small range but I'd hate to tune the whole band at 36:1. It would take me all day.. hi hi I can see how two verniers in series would give a smooth tune and likely be less expensive than a custom dual speed.

5. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

I built the Deluxe DX Receiver in Bill Orr's 1962 Radio Handbook--however, I changed a few things and added some bands. I built it in modules so I could tinker with the design. It works well--very sensitive. I had to wind some my own RF and first IF transformers. I also had to wind my own chokes for the first crystal oscillator. I learned a lot.

Norm

76.jpg

Dial installed 1.jpg

1Receiver .jpg

Tuning gears 2.jpg

IMG_5047.jpg

KA9P, W3SLK and KP4SX like this.
  6. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Good dial drives are few and far between. I adapted the geared drive and VFO from some Yaesu transceiver (model not known). The VFO L and C had to be re-done to get it on the desired frequency. Without first finding this VFO, this project would have never gotten going!

Attached Files:

7. KA9P

KA9P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

The second IF transformers, audio output transformer, BFO, and filter are from a NC 173. I happened to get them as a group for a very reasonable price so used them. I built the radio as a group of module chassis--like a R-390--so that I could try things and modify the design afterward without having to start over each time with the whole radio. One thing you need to do for that type of design is to not use a tuned circuit at the signal path from module to module. In other words, adding a cathode follower to advance the signal is best--especially for the RF stages. Another thing I have learned is that published designs can have mistakes that only show up when I try and build them. Don't assume the radio will work as published.

Norm

KA9P likes this.
  9. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, THAT is one handsome receiver!

10. KA9P

KA9P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Norm, I never would have thought of the cathode follower idea. I really like your modules, and given that anything I'm building now is more substitutions and doovers, will shamelessly steal that format for my HB65. TU.