ad: wmr-1

HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY GOT A WORKING SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD sdr

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by F5VHZ, Oct 24, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive just wasted 4 hours trying four different SDR supposed softwares but none are complete.
    rtl-sdr download that matches the dongle i bought, is incomplete, you have to download 2 extra files but the site doesn't have a direct download, and none of the available downloads required to change the usb driver so it recognises the dongle doesn't have the correct list ( as shown on at least 5 youtube videos) under sdr sharp the same problem...in fact my shack pc has crashed because now it cant recognise the mouse....so i cant even do a restore function to get that pc running again.. trying on another pc, i tried hdsdr.de, but again its incomplete, it says go to the hdsdr.de site and download the dll file required....but there is no search window to look for the dll file, so by using ctrl f , i find several references to the new functions of that file but no download for it.. great...
    tried looking on the web and every link goes back to hdsdr.dl that doesnt have the file ...
    is it me being stupid thinking that a software download ought to be complete ready to run ?
    is there an actual ready to run, plug and play software out there for people like me that dont know how to write a dll file .

HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY RECENTLY FOUND A DOWNLOAD THAT WORKS ON ITS OWN..
    Im reluctant to destroy a 2nd computer downloading these dodgy missing files from bad sources...

RTL-SDR doesn't have a working program or direct links to working add ons zadig.exe doesnt have the options as listed on all the youtube installation guides..

SDR SHARP doesnt work either, again it needs more files to run. requires ".net" installed , is that even a complete file name, that download crashed the pc ...

HDSDR.de doesnt run because its incomplete and the missing files are not available. extio.dll

SDR++ again is incomplete....vcr runtime 140 is missing...

surely there must be a program for sdr's that actually works directly from the download..
    please only reply if you actually have a working solution, ie you have been able to download and run your own rtl-sdr dongle...directly from a ready to run software..
    please help if you can...
    f5vhz

2. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

What version of Windows with what other software installed? There are likely differing USB dependancies that vary with the specific version, and any previous software installs.

One system that requires only a single download is a Raspberry Pi 4, where you can reportedly download a single SD card image that includes the entire OS, drivers, desktop GUI, libusb, librtlsdr, and an SDR app (or two), ready to run.

3. F5VHZ

NO IM RUNNING ON WINDOWS 10..... BUT SOME PROGRESS
    AFTER WATCHING MORE VIDEOS AND MORE LIES? I DID ANOTHER SEARCH AND FOUND A REAL SITE WITH THE LIST OF FILES ALL THE DIFFERENT SOFTWARE's ARE MISSING...... IN JAPAN..WHERE THE DONGLES ARE MADE ?
    7zip
    zadig
    HDSDR
    ExtIO_RTL.dll
    http://zao.jp/radio/soft66rtl/install.html
    SO FOR NOW IVE LOADED THE " ExtIO_RTL.dll " that has been purposley miss named as extiO.dll !!!
    now the program says no sound card detected.....but im not using a sound card but the usb from the dongle, so thats my next task , fing a reference to switch to the usb device ...
    Now i get extio not active so back to the video to try and activate it..
    i havent tried the zadig or the hdsdr but ill try them tomorrow , hopefully ill get the other pc running again if i can find a non usb mouse...and do a restore or boot in safe mode?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  4. F5VHZ

just a side note, as the software has killed my main pc by no longer recognising the mouse!!! i have to restart the win10 in safe mode...
    after trying all the old methods and failing, came back to this computer to ask how to boot in safe mode in win 10..
    the reply, there are now 10 different, and complicated ways to boot into safe mode..quote TO MAKE IT MORE EASY...
    THATS PROGRESS Two steps forward, and three steps back.. muppets at microsoft...

5. F5VHZ

The latest version zadig 2.3 isn't on the list at the http://zao.jp/radio/soft66rtl/install.html location ! just the zadig_v2.0.1.160.7z so perhaps thats another reason the RTL-SDR and hdsdr software doesn't work.....so infuriating, but still trying to find all the bits, to make this software run.. WHY DO THEY HAVE TO BE SO STUPID? AND NOT HAVE ALL THE SOFTWARE IN ONE DOWNLOAD.
    Would i recommend any SDR Dongle for your ham station, well at this time NO, Because you will have more chance of locking up your PC and blowing a mental fuse with frustration over RTL's and all the other software RTL-SDR, SDR SHARP, HDSDR, and SDR++ who seem to be highly trained in incompetence. only beaten in being awkward by the makers of the " HOW TO INSTALL SDR " videos that also quote to load versions of software but FAIL to give us a clue WHERE it can be found, just sending us on false trails quoting load it from RTL-SDR or HDSDR, when they don't have the download listed... Just looks like a big con to sell off all the sdr dongles at new highest prices and get you to buy a radio with it built in.....Just my humble feelings at this moment....well the dongle will go back in a few days if i don't get a solution soon. and ill carry on without. I have managed to clock up 126 countries so far without SDR so perhaps I don't really need one, or the frustration...
    Has Anyone out there actually managed to set up their sdr dongle in the last 3 months ?

6. F5VHZ

So another install guide by the MONKEY, (name changed to protect his identity ) but follow the video to 2.20 using the sdr sharp tutorial and you get this....in the Dos box when you run the bat file.
    . Access refused downloading rtlsdr driver 'httpget' is not recognised as an internal command or external , an executable program or command . downloading zadig 'httpget' is not recognised as an internal command or external , an executable program or command . and so it continues, another sdr software download THAT DOES NOT WORK.
    please someone tell me that in the last month they have installed a working decoding software for rtl-sdr dongle.

7. F5VHZ

here is a big part of the problem even going to French sites as well as English the file required is the same...
    the problem seems to be that ALL the zadig versions 2.0 to 2.3 have only the mouse and keyboard drivers.
    WARNING, I tried installing these and crashed my PC so it wont recognise the mouse .DO NOT change the usb mouse driver !!!

SDR SHARP DOWNLOAD FAIL  2.jpg

Perhaps someone out there has a older non doctored version of ZADIG 2.3 that has the missing files...ie the ***** RTL-SDR driver...

8. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are using an RTL-SDR dongle, then I'm not too surprised - it's a cheap DVB-T dongle that is being misused - and my experience of DVB-T dongles being used for their intended purpose is not good! Don't assume that all SDR products are equally bad - I use an SDRPlay RSP1A which installed very easily and has worked successfully with all the leading SDR applications for more than two years. I'm sure that it is possible to get the RTL-SDR devices working, but it is probably going to be quite a lot more difficult!

Martin (G8FXC)

KD2TTM likes this.
  9. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry to hear of your issues! I am not "a computer person" and decided to play it safe and spent the extra money on an SDRPlay RSP1A about a year ago, vs. buying an inexpensive dongle. I use the SDRuno software on my PC currently running Windows10. The device and software have been completely trouble-free so far.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The file name does not have to be " ExtIO_RTL.dll " It can be ExtIO.dll ", The file name just has to start with ExtIO , You can have many with different names, Then you are prompted to pick one on startup. The file(s) needs to be in the same directory where you launch the program.

zadig can save a lot of headaches.

Have Fun.