ad: w5yi

Has 20 meters been bad for everyone or just me?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5PB, Jul 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

Copper loop can be the om ring to balance energy of nature....

KA4DPO and W5PB like this.
  2. KB1MCT

KB1MCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was able to reach Chile, Belgium, and Brazil on 20 from northern Maine on Wednesday evening with 5 watts out of a FT817ND and a Chameleon Emcomm III 20 feet up in the trees. That has probably been my personal best since getting General.

KT4PH, KJ7ZEI, W5PB and 4 others like this.
  3. N6TDG

N6TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, quarter to ten in the evening and LY5A is booming into Northern California. on 20m..nice contact with Jonas on phone. Nice to hear a clear voice on the venerable DX 3000...that DNR tamps down the noise and brings the voice up front.

KO4ESA, KC7JNJ and (deleted member) like this.
  4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Band conditions are what they are. The best we can do is adapt to conditions. Changing bands, modes, operating times, etc. Improving antennas wherever we can.

In poor conditions antennas can make a huge difference.

I grew up ( was first licensed ) ( 1963 ) in a sunspot minimum, so for me these "conditions" are normal. But many of those who grew up in a sunspot maximum seem particularly annoyed at current conditions !

Bottom line is we do the best we can with whatever our boundary conditions may be.

K4NWD, KJ7ZEI, KO4ESA and 1 other person like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I notice 20 openings in the middle of the night when most of us are asleep. I imagine that is normal, but amazed nevertheless. I mean, cw into vk past gray line on 20 blows me away.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    KI5WW, W5PB, KO4ESA and 1 other person like this.
  6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last evening @ 2009 (local time) - 0109z (today) I didn't hear anyone on 17m, so I thought I'd call one more CQ & see if the RBN spotted me.
    Lo & Behold ! there's a station calling me on 18081khz !! I cranked-in the 400hz CW filter & ended-up having a 6 minute QSO with VK2BJ / Barry near Sydney.

We were both 439 (although he came up to a 549). He was running 400w & a 2 ele yagi & I was using the Icom-718 (100w) into a 80m OCF Dipole only up about 20ft.

Three hours later (0416z) 2316pm local time, I had a QSO with IZ2MGN / Mauri on 10122 khz !

ya just never know ;)

dit dit

KJ7ZEI, W5PB, KO4ESA and 2 others like this.
  7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Strange condx on 20m for the last several days...

Just a while ago got this RBN spot;
    [​IMG] VK4CT [​IMG] W5BIB 14037.4 CW CQ 9 dB 23 wpm 2017z 18 Jul 97 minutes ago

Using the same IC-718 & 80m OCF Dipole up only 20ft.

WZ7U, W5PB and KO4ESA like this.
  8. KJ7SMO

KJ7SMO Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KJ7SMO

KJ7SMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be very interested in learning more of your counterpoise system.
    Thanks, Greg

WZ7U likes this.
  10. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

In the next day or so I'll do a short writeup on how I do my co workers counterpoises.

KJ7SMO likes this.