ad: hrd-2

Has 20 meters been bad for everyone or just me?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5PB, Jul 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually according to my calculator on the PC it's $2.40 :)

KY4GD likes this.
  2. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While DX is still easy on 20, it has been down for the past few weeks... Lots of one way props, and in general lower signal levles. If you are running a compromised antenna, then it will have been very bad. You can still work DX, just not a lot.

W5PB likes this.
  3. W5PB

W5PB Ham Member QRZ Page

I definitely have adjusted my expectations based on my circumstances and I was able to work a surprising amount of DX a few weeks ago and all things considered have done pretty well. My transmit antenna is not great but it works. My receive antenna is an active loop and has generally been fairly low noise but for some reason HF has just been seeming a lot noisier in my location. I do live in an apartment so it could possibly be someone else has some cheap electronic gizmo plugged in causing problems.

Just before July 4 I worked Canada and Slovenia on 20 meter SSB, Croatia on 20 meter CW and a handful of others on digital. For me that was quite good, and I was thrilled.

4. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

For me it has been just noise the last couple of days. But this morning it opened up for a bit and I made contact with Tad in Tokyo! Just yesterday I mentioned band conditions to my wife and she asked if all the smoke we have overhead causes interference. The smoke is just awful right now. I told her that it is the sun/ionosphere that effects radio mostly. But honestly I said I don't know if it does.

5. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It could be worse. You could be living in an HOA and not be allowed any antennas at all.

K0UO likes this.
  6. W5PB

W5PB Ham Member QRZ Page

TECHNICALLY my apartment doesn't allow antennas, but no one has said anything about my.... "art installation".

KO4ESA, KE5OFJ and KT4PH like this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your PC is defective.

WZ7U, KC1NY and K5WY like this.
  8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in Korea. Haven't operated much for the past two weeks, but heard oodles of US stations during a recent SSB contest. I answered one and I think he had to go qrt to change his shorts after peeing them with excitement.

KJ7ZEI likes this.
  9. KA4FOX

KA4FOX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Japan and China pretty strong on 20m this morning, even with my crappy end fed.

KO4ESA and KJ7ZEI like this.
  10. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I picked up China, Taiwan, Falkland Islands, 3 X Japan and 2 X Finland this morning on FT8 - so not too bad. I heard Indonesia on a cheaters net on SSB.

KO4ESA and KJ7ZEI like this.