ad: QSKLLC-1

Harvey, Houston and how communications systems are holding up

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4O, Aug 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been watching local coverage of the flooding situation... for example...

http://www.khou.com/weather/houston-weather-forecast/62951506

Management of assistance resources appears to, understandably, be the #1 topic.

One topic I've not seen addressed yet is any lack of communications capability. Is the communications infrastructure holding up well and serving organizers and citizens in this unique situation?

K9ASE, KF0G and AF6LJ like this.
  2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

K9ASE and KF0G like this.
  3. KD8EDC

KD8EDC Ham Member QRZ Page

KK5JY and KF0G like this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

After 9/11, both "The Government" and industry took a long hard look at things like communications infrastructure. Lots of "what could POSSIBLY go wrong?" questions - and action to minimize the bad effects.

Stuff like backup generators, hardened shelters, redundant facilities, upgraded systems, etc.

Natural disasters such as Katrina, Sandy, Fukushima and more kept the emphasis going. Nobody wanted to have to answer hard questions about lack of preparedness and obvious vulnerabilities after the fact.

It's all good.

WA7PRC and KF0G like this.
  5. KG4OCV

KG4OCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard that there were 45 minutes to an hour hold time on 911 and that cell service was sporadic because the system was overloaded.

KF0G likes this.
  6. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

soooooo

business like normal it seems

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not business as usual...

Rockford, Texas:

"That included the signal tower outside the centrally located Rockport Police Department.

Emergency radio channels were unavailable, and first responders were limited to "shortwave radios that span only a couple miles," said Matt Jamison, a volunteer firefighter from Fulton.

"There's a lot of people using that one channel, and it's not really effective when you're trying to do a large-scale search-and-rescue (operation)," Jamison said."

Article source:
    http://www.caller.com/story/weather...ort-officials-delay-rescue-efforts/605769001/

8. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Its bad there and only getting worse. Lots of Volunteer groups with qualified people are sending aid.

This is from FEMA:

• Evacuations:
      • TX - mandatory evacuations for 726k people with voluntary

evacuations for over one million people

• LA - mandatory evacuations for 6k with voluntary evacuations for

133k people
    • Modeling projections estimate 67k residential homes affected with 5.5k

with major damage across 16 counties in TX

• Power outages: 268k customers without power in TX* (DOE Eagle-I as of 7:30

am EDT).

• Shelters/occupants: 100 / 6k in TX and 1 / 20 in LA (ESF #6 as of 2:00 pm EDT, August 28)
      -----------------------------
      And one of the local Dams/Reservoirs has water flowing over the top, if that goes, look out.

This is going to be a long term event.

My thoughts are with everyone in that region.

9. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IT'S ALL GOOD____REALLY!!!! Do you live down there> HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

K9ASE likes this.
  10. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

When they speak of comms. They ain't talking about you being able to call cousin Larry. They are talking about emergency comms among the various agencies. That is working well as you could expect. Granted, I have no idea how
    they can do this without Billy Bob wearing his lime green vest with his trusty call sign hat and his Chinese radios stuck in his utility belt with extra batteries running around checking in on the net. Its gotta be tough without him.

W4IOA, WD8T, 3DA0AQ and 2 others like this.