ad: elecraft

Harry Helms W5HLH SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by NZ4O, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NZ4O

NZ4O Guest

I just received word that Harry Helms became a Silent Key on Sunday November 15, 2009 after a long battle with cancer. He was 57 years young.

Harry was an avid Ham and SWL and published a number of books on the the radio hobby over the years. I bought my share of his books.

I did not know Harry personally but he and I did exchange a number of private emails in 2008 and 2009 concerning his illness. I borrowed the following below from his Blog at http://harryhelmsblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/greetings-from-fort-mill-south-carolina.html .

.....I'm a book and magazine writer, editor, and publisher. I've written several books and numerous magazine articles. I was co-founder of LLH Technology Publishing (formerly HighText Publications), which was acquired by Elsevier in 2001.....

73 & GUD DX,
    Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
    Lakeland, FL, USA
    nz4o@arrl.net
    John 3:16 <><

NZ4O Amateur & SWL Radio Autobiography: http://www.nz4o.org

2. K5BDL

K5BDL Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember reading Harry's "Communications Confidential" in Popular Communications when I was a newly minted SWL/Ute DXer prowling the bands before I was snagged into ham radio. Rest well, my friend!

Brad Low, K5BDL
    Jacksonville, TX

3. W2HA

W2HA Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP Harry...

You will be missed.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP OM

Butch was an extraordinary writer. We should ALL dig into his blog. Interesting; well writing; funny in that sardonic subtle wit of Southern writers.

Tragically called way too early!

... _._

5. WB7VEH

WB7VEH Ham Member QRZ Page

harry helsm

iam sad to read this about harry,i was just getting to know him here in corpus before him and his wife moved back east,ive had the pleasure of being able to email back and forth with him over the last couple of years,and i own a few of his books,harry was an interesting guy,my respects to di and his family for there loss,there wont be a nuther harry helms,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.