Harrison Radio, NYC any images??

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WB2GCR, Nov 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

This reply envelope was tucked in the Harrison sales catalog that I have. See the back side scan - bullet item 3rd one down - Was there no limit to what you could order from Harrison??:p I hope it wasn't "midnight radio sales":p

harrison-2a.jpg

2. W2MV

W2MV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They had a "Washington's Birthday" sale every year and the prices were unbelievable. I got my first transmitter, a Knight T-150A, and my first receiver, a Star ST-700E there. It was a lot of money for a kid.

3. K3SSB

K3SSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can relate...
    My earliest memory of Harrison Radio was a purchase of a used Knight T-150A and the companion Knight R-100A receiver. Good times, good memories... Boy, I miss the old radio row area of lower Manhattan.

K1OIK likes this.
  4. N2AVH

N2AVH Ham Member QRZ Page

I never saw the NYC one but I was a regular at the Route 110 one in the 1970s. The ham stuff was at the back, kind of a labyrinth to get there but all kinds of cool used stuff....in fact I don't remember any old stuff!

5. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I doubt that was a significant factor. Shipping costs were one of those nuisance fees, about on par with sales tax back then. To-day, when shipping costs often exceed the price of the merchandise, I doubt that many people buy anything on line just to circumvent the sales tax they would have to pay to their local brick-and-mortar retail outlet

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was Harrison the jobber that had QST ads with Kitty up at the top? We got to watch Kitty age over time. She started looking like Tammy Bakker after awhile.

7. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Barry Gensler owner of Barry Electronics; Kitty was his wife.

WB2GCR likes this.
  8. W1CBS

W1CBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought my HQ 100A there sometime after 1965.

9. W3SLK

W3SLK Ham Member QRZ Page

I always liked the use of 'parts jobber' to describe your favorite electronic parts dealer! Its a throwback that brings back pleasant memories.