ad: w5yi

Harrison Radio, NYC any images??

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WB2GCR, Nov 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The only images I have are the ones between my ears from numerous Saturday visits via bus and subway from Nassau County looking at the used equipment ads posted on the support columns by individuals. My HQ-129X, Halli PM-23 speaker, Johnson Viking 1 & 122 VFO, Johnson Adventurer, RME DB-22A and VHF 152A, and other items came that way in the 1955-59 time frame. I couldnt afford new stuff and Harrisons own used gear prices were no bargains! I still have the speaker and have duplicated all the rest here.

Carl

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

K3SSB likes this.
  3. HAMHOCK75

HAMHOCK75 QRZ Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    W4KYR, W4NNF, K3SSB and 1 other person like this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw my Grandpa in that video! ;)

Very cool.

5. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing video from 1929. All those guys milling around wearing suits, ties, and hats. Were they all looking for work? (This was the beginning of the great depression.)

6. K3SSB

K3SSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. K3SSB

Just a brief message to say thanks for the information regarding the Cortland Street video circa 1929. I've incorporated the video into my QRZ bio page, under the other related links for "Radio Row".

Good memories.

tnx 73 de K3SSB

Tom G, Sr.

N2EY likes this.
  8. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Link below is picture of building that housed the retail Lafayette Radio at 100 6th Ave., NYC. Upstairs, back in the early days, manufacturing and corporate offices were there. Lafayette corporate office and warehouse moved to Syosset, NY around 1961/62. The 100 6th Ave. retail store moved uptown to Union Square. While going to school in NYC, 1965/66, I worked there Thursday and Friday nights. Union Square park was always a treat to walk through on the way to catch the subway uptown on Friday nights. :)
    https://www.google.com/maps/@40.723...4!1scPrhvgFslq7OIYqq7M_MbA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Here's one of the upstairs floor test facility rooms:
    [​IMG]

The picture above is from John, K2TQN's, web site. If you have access to QST, April 2011, page 95, John's Vintage Radio column, you can see more office pictures.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    K3SSB and KA0HCP like this.
  9. K3SSB

I can't be positive, however, I uncovered this photograph that I suspect is from the Harrison Radio showroom.

harrison_radio.jpg

K3SSB
    Tom G, Sr.

10. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't remember that display, which is somewhere around 1960, but then again I was just a little squirt with a brand new General license, in total radio awe, and in a big radio store with stuff with lots of knobs.... but then again, I sometimes can't remember what I did yesterday. :rolleyes: