Harrison Radio, NYC any images??

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WB2GCR, Nov 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was hoping that an actual photograph might exist, not the low res halftone printed advertisements.

2. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes well you just might find
    You get what you need...
    ---Mick Jagger and Keith Richards
    The Rolling Stones
    ;)

3. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

By 1969 the Harrison ads indicated they were at 8 Barclay St. NYC and had two stores out in Long Island. I have one of their full feature catalogs but I don't recall if there were any photos. Might be easier to find an actual photo of Bill Harrison, W2AVA.

[​IMG]

K1OIK and KP4SX like this.
  4. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It wasn't any problem to zero-beat my HW-16 to any broadcast and "turn off" the BFO that way. But as Jim points out, the bandwidth was too narrow to enjoy the result.

5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bil Harrison, W2AVA, shows off the mobile installation in his 1962 Cadillac. From the Bob Hertzberg/Fred Collins "Harper Collins Amateur Radio Handbook" of 1964:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    K3XR, K1OIK and KP4SX like this.
  6. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but they have re-couped the R&D expense by now.

N2AVH likes this.
  7. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty sure that was low res to allow line film use, not half-tone film.

8. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True, but their costs for labor and materials have increased with inflation -- yet the inflation-adjusted prices have declined.

9. WB2UAQ

WB2UAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing all of this from NYC!
    I lived in NJ about 5 miles from the GW Bridge and went to RCA from '69-'71. Was in Harrison Radio and Advance Electronics just to look around once or twice. Heathkit was in the city not too far from there as well at the time. Also one time went down to see what was left of radio row. While my fellow airmen were getting into trouble, I put together an HW-16 at Chanute AFB while going thru training in '72. I hardly remember it. Because the following year I was married and after a few years we had two harmonics (are kids still called "harmonics"?) to take care of and then it was back to school under the GI bill. I didn't get a new piece of amateur radio equipment until 1989 (TM-231) and then the next new one was in 2003 (IC-718 for ~$500). I guess I haven't done much to support ham radio dealers over the last 53 years:)

KD2ACO likes this.
  10. EI3Y

EI3Y Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My Dad visited NY about 1952 and brought back some gear and a Harrison Catalogue which I still have its very heavy.
    He went from Ireland by Cunard liner so weight was no trouble. I still have a Master Mobile whip which tunes
    all freqs. If anyone wants the catalogue and pays the postage they can have it but its very heavy 2nd over 2"inches thick.

W4KYR, K5RT and KP4SX like this.