Harris XG-100P Programming

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KN4EHX, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings,

I’m aware some of you might work for Harris or a company that programs for them. Exactly why I love QRZ; what a wealth of information!

I’d like to buy a tri band P25 radio. Particularly the Harris XG-100P. They are roughly 1/3 the cost of an APX8000, but there is definitely a lack of information about them online. I’m an emergency management volunteer in a county that uses VHF, bordering a county that uses UHF, and the next over that uses 7/800 MHz. (I’m aware of 7/800 MHz catch 22’s and encryption rules - not what I’m trying to do - I just want the capability in case the need arises).

In my local area there are several P25 repeaters to use on amateur frequencies VHF and UHF.

Main questions:
    1. How much should I expect the programming software to set me back?
    2. How much will a programming cable cost?
    3. Is it wide band capable?
    4. Tips, tricks, or useful thoughts?
    5. Should I buy an APX if the overall cost will be less? In that case it would probably be a dual band rather than tri band. APX7000 is affordable in some fashions, but the APX8000 must be made of REALLY good (expensive) stuff.

Thanks to all!
    Nate
    KN4EHX

2. WA8NVW

WA8NVW Ham Member QRZ Page

The XG-100P radio is FCC Type Approved under Part 90 Rules, where WB +/- 5 kHz deviation is prohibited on VHF, UHF, 700, and 800 Public Safety bands. Therefore the answer to your #3 had better be NO.

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I highly doubt any trunking system manager would allow you to program your own radio to be on their system - if that's what you're looking to do. To spend multi kilo bucks on a radio as a volunteer seems nuts to me. If they want you to have a radio - volunteer or not - they should equip you with a radio!

4. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the responses. I’d doubt any system managers from the neighboring counties will be giving me the thumbs up to be on their trunked radio systems, but in a pinch if the need arises I’d hope to be able to pay it forward to the people who would need it most.

My real work does use a trunked system on 800 MHz and they provide me with a radio. Although, they are using Kenwood and Motorola on a Phase 1 system. I could use it there in addition to the local p25 amateur repeaters.

Volunteering is just my way of trying to be a good millennial. I hope the rest of my cohort will do the same.

Albeit, three of five questions still remain unanswered. I believe questions three and four have had some useful insight. Again, I thank you for your responses.

KN4EHX