hardware for attaching a wire antenna to a house

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE0YRP, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Cheaper is always better where ham radio is involved. :D

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You could always just tune up the gutters....

Ed

NH7RO likes this.
  3. NH7RO

Shhhsh, Ed; New ham here and probably already confused enough as it is---wait until he gets his first antenna in place before informing him he'll probably need to buy an external tuner, too, please.:D

4. KE0YRP

KE0YRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I've heard some people use gutters. My guess is it doesn't work as well as a regular antenna?

5. NH7RO

Depends on one's house construction, length of gutters, possible radials or extent of any ground plane in vicinity of the gutters, basically. Don't overlook all the coupling to the maze of house wiring and HVAC ducting for either (which can also be problematic for any antenna inside an attic or close to the house).

In the long run, it can be OK for anyone starting out and needs to be stealthy at the same time---so you never really know until you try it out firsthand---part of the challenging fun inherent to this hobby.

Everything works! How well do you want your system to work (?) is the question that always needs to be asked.

Another variation; If you have a tree or other tall support nearby you might get away with a stealthy inverted-L by attaching a wire to the top of a metal downspout and feeding it at the bottom. Run the wire out to the tree and the coax to a remote tuner at the base.

Where there's a will there's a way more often than not.

Jeff

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was a Novice in 1971, my antenna was a dipole just stapled to the wood up under the eaves. Enjoyed many hundreds of QSOs with it, all over the country, with 15 watt transmitter.

I didn't find out that it couldn't possibly work, until some 35 years later when I read the experts on QRZ.com say so..

W1TRY and KE0YRP like this.
  7. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the same antenna, use it for portable operation. It’s pretty forgiving for less than optimal installations. I’ve put it up as a sloper and inverted L, with the counterpoise just laying on the ground.

I use a 14 foot counterpoise which works best when the antenna is installed like a dipole - it will sometimes tune up on 80 meters.

KE0YRP likes this.
  8. KE0YRP

KE0YRP Ham Member QRZ Page

man that would be nice to get 80m! there are some nets I have assumed wouldn't be available. I'm not expecting it but it would be a nice surprise. I keep thinking about trying to hide a fan dipole, but i think for now I'll see what the EFHW will do.

9. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don’t get your hopes up for 80 meters - it doesn’t happen very often. Generally if it’s up at least 30 feet and straight out like a dipole.

I use this antenna while camping, so the campsite layout and availability of trees play a big part. I carry a 25 foot flagpole with a drive-on base, which is very helpful.

Experiment. If it doesn’t work, make adjustments and try again.

10. NH7RO

I have yet to see any half-way serious post here on QRZ stating that any antenna "won't work."

As stated in my post just prior to yours,

"Everything works! How well do you want your system to work (?) is the question that always needs to be asked."