ad: elecraft

hardware for attaching a wire antenna to a house

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE0YRP, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would space the EFHW and its counterpoise 6-12" from the building. This reduces detuning and avoids arcing from the antenna to nails and other metal objects.

WR2E and NH7RO like this.
  2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I like WB5YUZ's advice above; especially the fan dipole part (also a big fan of fans here). As you progress in your being an experienced ham you will undoubtedly wish to add more antennas to your arsenal. I would therefore nominate a flagpole antenna in your back yard as tall as your HOA allows, fly the US flag and install a lot of radials that spoke outward from the base of said flagpole. You'll also need a remote tuner for it if operating multiple bands but we can help you with all the details when the time comes. In the mean time, get your feet wet on 10 meters and don't overlook 6 meters ssb/cw or what have you as you already have full privileges on the Magic Band (learn about sporadic E propagation to find out why it is called that).

73 (Best regards)

Jeff (was a Tech for 14 years before advancing up to Extra I was having so much fun on 6 and 2 meters ssb!)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    KE0YRP likes this.
  3. NH7RO

Hey Dan; Don'tcha just hate that 30-minute limit? I do, every time I post something and miss an occasional typo even after careful proofreading (which I try to be diligent about---it's hard to do when one has poor eyesight even with prescription lenses).

73 (and thanks for correcting your previous post---it happens to all of us probably more often than we'd like to realize),

Jeff

4. KE0YRP

KE0YRP Ham Member QRZ Page

sorry for the confusion. I bought a MFJ-1984HP. I like the idea of a fan dipole, but i feel it's too noticeable in a HOA that completely bans antennas.

5. KE0YRP

I really like the idea of a flagpole, but man, those get expensive. That one is going to have to wait a while!!

6. KE0YRP

@KB5YUZ do you know if it will work if I wrap the counterpoise around the front of my house, rather than draping it on ground? I'm glad you told me i shouldn't have it near the gas meter!

7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you had positioned it near the gas meter, the odds are a probably on the order of a million to one that nothing bad would ever have happened. It's just that if something DID happen, the results could be catastrophic...

One of the things you have to remember about this kind of antenna is that the counterpoise has high voltage on the ends and radiates (and can receive radiation) just like the wire we think of as the "antenna." It is in many ways the "other half of the antenna." I would mount it on standoff insulators, just like the antenna. I would hide the end behind some huge decorative fixture or another just to make sure nobody comes into contact with it.

And, if you can just think of a way to get the last few feet of it out away from the house, that is something worth thinking about.

I want to refer back to Steve's post #2. The only way to know how this will work is to try it. I would start by using very low power for testing purposes and then check for heating on the surfaces the antenna is mounted on/closest to.

And again, standoffs wherever practical.

NH7RO likes this.
  8. NH7RO

True, but they can be home-brewed for a lot less...

Also (in reference to the fan dipole idea) making antennas stealthy is often the name of the game when it comes to living in a hoa subdivision. Thin-gauge wire, tiny insulators and flat camo paint in the exact same color and shade as your house could really come in handy once you get creative in that regard---just pointing that out now to start you thinking about the alternatives you might not see at first (I know, it's a lot of info to digest when you are new to the whole game).

Jeff

9. KE0YRP

10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

(1) I would get the ceramic ones; and, I would mount them on short bits of 2x2 or something painted to match the siding and try to get them as far away from the siding as is still stealthy.

(2) No need to use a drill to twist them in. You drill a pilot hole of the correct size; then you can twist them in with your hands.

NH7RO likes this.