hardware for attaching a wire antenna to a house

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE0YRP, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0YRP

KE0YRP Ham Member QRZ Page

What do people normally do when attaching a wire antenna to the exterior of a house?

I'm wondering if I need some sort of insulator and if it's okay to have the wire touching the wall, i.e. will the wire detune if it touches a wet wall. It's going to be under a soffit, so it will be somewhat protected either way.

Can i get away with those cheap white plastic things? 51aXnSkzcAL._SL1224_.jpg

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Use insulated wire.

How well such an antenna installation actually "works" depends very heavily on the construction materials used for the house. Aluminum gutters are bad; plastic ones are fine. Stucco siding is bad; cedar (wood) shingles are fine. Aluminum siding (!) is terrible.

Everything other than air, a vacuum or most gasses are variable RF dielectrics that can be "RF friendly" or very "RF unfriendly." Experience teaches us that stucco house siding, for example (which my house has, and probably 75% of all houses in southern CA have because it's a good heat insulator and pretty fire retardant), is absolutely terrible for RF and acts like a shield. "Wood" is fine, especially at HF.

Try it and see!:)

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

JASON,

FIRST OF ALL ARE YOU THE OWNER OF THIS HOUSE, ARE YOU AUTHORIZED TO
    PUT FIXTURES ON THE BUILDING????

ALSO, BE SURE TO STAY AWAY FROM POWER LINES.

YOU MUST KEEP IN MIND THAT IN THE WINTER MONTHS
    YOU COULD HAVE AN ICE STORM AND THAT MAKES A SIMPLE
    WIRE VERY HEAVY.

YOU MIGHT HAVE TO USE A BIG EYE BOLT AND THE APPROPRIATE
    INSULATORS TO PROPERLY RESTRAIN THE WIRE TO THE BUILDING.

HAVE FUN AND WORK SAFELY.

N9HI_Have_a_Nice_Day.gif

4. WB2WIK

He said he's running it under the eaves of his house and attaching to the house.

5. KE0YRP

yes, I own the house. it's wood siding and metal gutters. I bought a MFJ 1984HP 40m EFHW. The wire is insulated.

K1LKP likes this.
  6. KE0YRP

20191208_142150 draw_cr.jpg 20191208_142020 draw_cr.jpg

K1LKP likes this.
  7. KE0YRP

my plan is to wrap it around the house. red is the antenna, blue is counterpoise

K1LKP likes this.
  8. KE0YRP

i just got tech yesterday, so i'm still very much learning. going to study for general and hopefully get it in a few weeks

K1LKP likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

Go for it!

But if you have HF gear "now," the ARRL 10 meter contest is this weekend, and you have both phone and CW (and digital) privileges on 10 meters. This only happens once a year, and right now is the time.

KE0YRP likes this.
  10. KE0YRP

man i wish i could. I have some medical issues so i'm going to hire someone to put the wire up for me. And, it's not going to happen this weekend. :(