hard drive crash,crash,crash

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W9WQA, Jan 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

been doing it for a month. i did a backup to an sd card,took hours but the hd made it.
    then crashed again. its my old hp win 7 laptop. been running for years, rarely turned off
    recently it will run for 20/30 min then crash. later it runs again,same way. literally blue screen crashes...
    today while booting, usually about 3 minutes, it went into 'chkdsk', something i havent seen sinch...? win 98?

went thru a cleanup process i didnt understand. took about 30 ,minutes.
    been running great now for hours ..
    anybody understand this ? !
    wonder whats going on.?
    yrs ago i got into op systems a lot but as things started working well i got lazy and in to other things.
    also got spoiled by an old linux machine that never fails. a desktop just used for taxes and some text stuff.
    but this my go to comp. i have another hp like it but its w 10 which i hate,,,HATE...

wonder whats with my hd?

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems pretty straight forward. It's dying.

Check the S.M.A.R.T. data on your hard drive. It'll tell you how long your hard drive has been spinning and how many bad blocks it has.

The computer I'm typing on right now has a hard drive that's been spinning for just under 4 years and has just under 100 bad blocks. I don't leave it turned on all the time. I've had this computer for about 12 years. I'm replacing the hard drive next chance before it starts crashing.

W0XA likes this.
  3. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Good time to upgrade to SSD. Sounds like that disk is failing (but check SMART to be certain) and nothing good or interesting is going to happen until you restore your backup into a new drive.

K4RKY likes this.
  4. K1APJ

K1APJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Couple possibilities-

Terminal decrepitude
    Old and rotten
    Shot to heck
    Belly up
    NFG
    Past its expiration date
    Possibly, a derangement in the mechanism​

Hard drives are almost free these days. Replace it and move on!

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Amazon has 1TB drives for $45 and prime shipping now, not much more than our license renewals will be - ha ha.

If you go with SSD be aware that Win7 may not detect it and change the parameters needed. Look up Win7 TRIM and how to turn off automatic defragging. And SSDs fail too. Always have backup.

6. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

When we replaced the old BAMA server it had been up and running 24/7 for over a decade with the same drives. It was only ever off line for software upgrade (still running) or network issues (still running) or the few times someone at the NOC turned off the wrong customers machine :). Hopefully the new BAMA server will be as reliable.

7. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Memory problems can exhibit the same behavior. Try cleaning the contacts before just replacing.

8. WA0YDE

WA0YDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a problem w/ a Win7 machine. It worked fine but could NOT create a restore point. I spent DAYS searching for a fix. Finally a light came on. Fixed it by using the drive mfgrs diagnostics, then replaced the drive. No reason not to these days, as cheap as they are.

9. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i post this out of curiousity because it looks like chkdsk fixed a problem with data and maybe not mechanical...
    and yes i know all about buying too much cheap stuff !!

btw its running 2 hrs now . 3 days ago it would crash in 20 minutes so i ASSUME it was corrupt data that got cleaned up by chkdsk...jfwiw

10. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

You've got blocks failing on the disk. The disk (itself, in its own controller) is furiously working away to read out the failing blocks, copy the data to spare blocks that have been waiting for this since the day the disk was formatted, and then substitute the addresses in the map. It's usually successful but not perfect. So then checkdisk has something to do- and it winds up looking like a "data and maybe not mechanical" problem when in fact it was failing blocks on the platter the whole time.

Use a SMART utility to verify, but so far your description is perfect for a progressive HDD failure propped up only by valiant error-correction and spare sector availability.

W9WQA likes this.