Harbor freight predator 2000 generator

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WY4K, Jul 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, again, in order to know if it will work for an HF installation, you'd need to test one in its intended situation. It doesn't sound like anybody has tried that with this particular design, and it's the design that I think would make it desirable to vet the unit.

Whenever I see "inverter," I automatically think "noisy."

2. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

other stores have 2000watters for cheaper.. 399 to 599.. might come across a honda.
    might want to look around ..

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

399-599 for inverter generator? That's quite a bit less than a Honda. What do you mean by 2000Watter? Generators are generally rated in VA @ .8PF. A 2000KVA is not capable of 2000W.

4. KB2WVO

ok i didnt read the hf page on the gen. no biggy..
    iam sure there are much better for close to price. middle of summer sales. when noone needs them lol

5. KB2WVO

o by the way .. might want to tell generac that.. i guess they are wrong also.. but who am i .............
    Generac 6,500-Watt Gasoline Powered Portable Generator.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Input or Output power is watts in question.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand that inverters are naturally noisy. However, people have run HF rigs with similar setups.

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Me too. It's like people keep looking for that one particular cheap generator that isn't going to cause any noise problems.

I don't think there's any one of them that "is the one" that you can buy from places like Harbor Freight.

Things like noise suppression, perfected AC sine waves and quality will always come at a much higher cost.

Same principle applies to buying car tires or anything else for that matter. There's always going to be the alternative economy brands, but don't get your expectations and hopes up.

WB5THT and KU4X like this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It just makes me wonder why they don't just pick the right tool for the job to start with.

KU4X likes this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I'm not sure one of these is the wrong tool. Light...according to HF quiet...inexpensive.