ad: M2Ant-1

Hara Arena, On it's way down

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by WG8Z, Sep 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a hellhole, but I wish I could relive my first trip to Dayton in 1987. It was my baptism of fire in the ham radio business. Lol!

2. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That time I got up on the roof to shoot some video of the fleamarket.
    I remember there were some rips and holes in the tarpaper covering the entire surface, and that there had to be some leaks of rainwater to the building below.

WA3YMH, N1VAU, N7EKU and 2 others like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Bummer.

No more green hot dogs on Sunday. :(

4. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I went once and it never cultivated interest in me to return. Although, I did get to meet with the Kenwood representatives to discuss the addition of Smart Beaconing to the D710A.

1 person likes this.
  5. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Went there with the local ham club on a school bus as a Novice in 1972 . Fun but I only had 100 bucks saved up at 14 years old . Bought a Matrix electronic keyer/paddle combo brand new . Ah yes . I remember it well .

6. N8YQM

N8YQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ohhh... I remember that well. A couple friends of mine and I had a flea market spot not far from where it bubbled up in the parking lot. Missed us, but that smell....

WA3YMH likes this.
  7. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video Paul. Nice to see a warm day, camaraderie, beer, and people having fun without the gov telling them to wear face diapers. Ahhh, nostalgia!

KF4ZKU likes this.
  8. N8PKN

N8PKN Ham Member QRZ Page

My first trip to Dayton, 1988...kept returning for 29 years, (missed 1 due to illness ). Priceless memories, good and bad. Sad to see it go. Xenia isnt the same.

Bob, in Michigan.

K0UO likes this.
  9. KA9MGC

KA9MGC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I only went one time, in 2000. I was so excited to finally be there I didn't even notice the building condition. I've wanted to go back, but then the Covid thing hit and shut everything down.

Maybe next year.

K0UO likes this.
  10. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I went 2X in the 80s and the last time in 1991.
    Bought my first new HF rig there, Yaesu 757GX for less than I could squeeze the dealers on the phone. I still have that radio!

K0UO likes this.
  11. K8CCA

K8CCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I grew up in that area before moving to Michigan in the early 80's. I remember going there in the 70's for sporting events and it was a dump back then. Ham sure have a fond reverence of that place (I do to, my first Dayton was in 1983 and I don't think I missed one in the 90's and 2000's)

K0UO likes this.
  12. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh??? I've already forgotten it!

13. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Green Hotdogs were something on the last day.

Hershey Squirts all the way on the drive home. :oops:

Thank goodness for Depends.

14. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

As run down as it was.. I'll miss it.