Happy Veterans Day!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3AWS, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of ham veterans out there. Salute to each of them!

Jim N3AWS

W7SJP, KE0GXN, NL7W and 12 others like this.
  2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you to all who have served

WE4E, WZ7U, WD3N and 5 others like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a day of me eating free at restaurants. If I knew then of these benefits I'd been a better jarhead.

K1LKP, WZ7U, WD3N and 2 others like this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe certain observances are in order, and I thank those in uniform (now or in the past) for their service.
    But I sometimes think "HAPPY" Veteran's Day is somewhat of a misnomer.

Originally, "the 11th Hour, of the 11th Day of the 11th month (1918) " signified the cessation of hostilities in the "War to end ALL Wars,:(" WW I, was known as "Armistice Day." The day (each year) was set aside, appropriately, on 11/11/11 each year, and in many places, (in the U.S. and other countries) people asked to face East at that time and observe a moment of silence to remember the sacrifice those that returned, but also those that did NOT return.

Much later, Congress changed the name to "Veteran's Day" to include ALL that served in military service, (past and present) not just those from WW I. "Armistice Day" was finally approved by Congress and approved by the President to be a National holiday in 1938, despite some congressional objections over the years. But it was not until 1954 that the it was to include ALL those who were involved in the military, even those in so-called "military actions." (And rightly so.)

Now, we have "Veteran's" Day. A day as a holiday, but we should ALSO remember the original purpose if it's longstanding purpose. Let it be a solemn, thankful, and respectful day,

(As added: I still search for my great-great uncle, Cornelius Neufeldt. He immigrated from Germany, and fought on the American side only after three years in the U.S. because he wanted to fight for his NEW country. in WW I. He fought against his former country men.:( He is buried somewhere in France.:()

1911ADDICT, WG7X, WD3N and 4 others like this.
  5. WA9SVD

It's SAD that that is ALL you can think about.:(

WD3N and K9ASE like this.
  6. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Army, 1983-1990, 05D, 1st Det. 204th MI, Garlstedt NDL
    204thpatch.jpg
    big-u-army-204th-military-intelligence-battalion-crest-17026.png

Basic at Ft Jackson, SC, AIT at Ft Devens, MA

I recommend service for every youth. If I were in charge, 2 years would be mandatory. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    W7SJP, K1LKP and WD3N like this.
  7. WA9SVD

If YOU think that is all I do (or can) think about, you are truly a sad, sad person:(. You may have some deep seated problems that QRZ can't solve. I suggest professional counseling.:rolleyes: Not now, but starting MANY year ago.:(:(:(

8. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean like talking to yourself? You replied to your own post. :)

W4NNF and K8BZ like this.
  9. WA9SVD

I was puzzled by that. I thought I was replying to W4IOA, Post # 3, 4, and/or 5., in which HE stated: "It's SAD that that is ALL you can think about." Or he stated all it means is a free meal at restaurants.

Maybe its one of the occasional glitches in QRZ?"

To his comment(s) , if that doesn't disappear, is if ALL Veteran's Day means to him is a "free meal," he has either no conscience and doesn't deserve to be called a Marine (retired or not,) or has serious problems. The "free meal" was HIS words, not mine:(

10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Most people don't know the difference between 'Veteran's' and 'Memorial' Day.

K1OIK and W4IOA like this.