ad: chuckmartin

Happy Birthday QRZ: We're 30!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Apr 24, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AK9R

AK9R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations on the long run.

Fred AA7BQ and I met, oh, so many years ago. I had been working for a shareware disk dealer (remember those?). We had an amateur radio callsign lookup program in our catalog and Fred wanted to compare it to the callsign lookup system he was working on at the time. So, I stopped by Fred's house in the Phoenix area and gave him a disk (probably a 3.5 inch floppy) containing a copy of the program my former employer sold. That would have been 1993-94 time frame.

TA1TRJ and KF7WIS like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I submit paper logs, or QSL cards, do I qualify? :D Just kidding!

TA1TRJ likes this.
  3. WA4CB

WA4CB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish you had printable certificates for members.

TA1TRJ, NJ3T and AJ4LN like this.
  4. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

Don and others:

I do the download/sync from LoTW, in logbook settings, and it greatly increases my confirmations here. Of course, that won't help this QRZ-specific award, but it will help other awards and overall.

TA1TRJ and KF7WIS like this.
  5. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another fun thing about this award is, from the award QSOs listing, it is fun to see the contacts with the most bands. In my case, it was with @KF9UG on seven bands with FT-8 — 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 30, and 40.

Amazing stuff.

TA1TRJ likes this.
  6. N6RWC

N6RWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yoo free award

TA1TRJ likes this.
  7. KO4MAO

KO4MAO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks QRZ for 54% QSO confirmation out of 2700 contacts! QRZ Logbook is very easy to use and makes confirmation easy. I like how I can look up a ham's callsign and learn about that ham through their QRZ bio! Also helps with paper QSL addresses and info. -Thank you

TA1TRJ likes this.
  8. W7GO

W7GO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice looking certificate.
    WW7WWW isn't John Smith though.

TA1TRJ likes this.
  9. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? an award for 30 contacts? This is SOOOO different from the award for 25 contacts!
    I don't chase awards, but how about something interesting?
    CQ Zones, ITU Zones... So many options and you go for this?

TA1TRJ and K3BOA like this.
  10. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

... I think they already have those, @KY1K

TA1TRJ likes this.
  11. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see them. I only see country (and county) baised awards, and Grids.

Work all Continents, work a bunch of countries, work a bunch of countries on specific Continents...

US states, US counties... what about a Canadian province award?

If I earned this new "award" on a special event callsign, in about 30 minutes... it's a participation trophy and not an award!

TA1TRJ likes this.
  12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Why be so rude? Why not just ignore it and move along if it doesn’t appeal to you. Maybe it appeals to other users…

Some of these awards mean a LOT to many people. Not everyone has massive antennas, radios, or skills. Who are you to put them down?

And no - I have nothing to do with the department that creates awards at QRZ.

I just call BS when I see it and your comment is just plain rude.

Dave
    W7UUU
    [as Dave - not as QRZ]

TA1TRJ, N3GY, AE8EM and 4 others like this.
  13. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

30 contacts to earn an award is just plain silly. I literally earned this award with 25 watts using a hamstick in a magmount on my car. In under an hour.
    If this award "means a lot" to people, that's just sad. QRZ needs more meaningful awards! Not only is this one super simple, it's almost AN EXACT COPY of another award!
    What's next? Work all states plus DC award?
    Work all Continents including Antarctica?
    DX105?

There are so many options and this is what they put out?
    A better option would have been 30 countries, something that would take a little bit of work and easier than DX100

TA1TRJ likes this.
  14. N9WFT

N9WFT Ham Member QRZ Page

TA1TRJ likes this.
  15. N9WFT

N9WFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Look Pal, it is apparent to me that you think everyone has an elite Ham Station. Reality check Sir, we all do not. All things are permissible, but not all things are beneficial. And all your negative comments are not beneficial to anyone including you. You apparently have forgotten what it was like for even you, when you were a new Ham. Even you did not Walk On Water, when you were a new Ham. These awards here that are easy to earn on this wonderful website, are meant to build confidence, encourage, and motive Hams to be active, and get involved in all aspects of Ham Radio, including providing a postive, interactive, social environment. I understand that yes, some of these awards can seem redundant, and very easy to earn. But new Hams and less skilled operators need somewhere to start advancing and improving the radio operating skills. Sir, know this, I personally find you an outstanding Ham Radio operator, that has acquired much learning about the Art of Radio. I sincerely hope you are/ or will be an Elmer, as there is much you can teach potential and new Hams

TA1TRJ, K9FH, N3GY and 2 others like this.