Hanging ends on a G5RV

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WA3ERQ, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA3ERQ

WA3ERQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What would be the maximum amount of each leg of a G5RV that can "hang" due to limited space?

I currently have my G5RV as an inverted "v" but depending on how much of each end I can allow to hang, I may be able to get a more straight line.

Thanks and '73

Jim
    WA3ERQ

2. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

On a 206ft G5RV I had one leg hanging vertical for about 25 feet and the other about 12 feet. I worked all kinds of stuff in that config.

3. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are at a relatively obtuse angle (say 120 dgrees or better) in your inverted vee configuration you're probably alright just as it is.

If I were contemplating using the same space for a flat top with hanging ends I think I'd spend the effort on a regular 80M dipole.

4. WA3ERQ

WA3ERQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just curious. When people string their wire dipoles in trees, is there a safety risk or decrease in efficiency if the ends touch any branches?

Tnx
    Jim
    WA3ERQ

5. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get too excited about dry wood but in rain & snow you can figure tuning will be affected. Tree rats will play with the wires too - I don't know or care much how RF training affects them.

6. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

As suggested by the man upstairs with the two fingers I agree with what he writes. An 80 metre dipole is approximately 135 feet long and you can drop about a third of each leg vertically. This is much much easier to tune on all the bands than one of those G5RV's but people take a lot of persuading. Use open wire feeder, any length to fit the space, connect to a 4:1 balun then coax into the shack to the ATU, then coax to the SWR/POWER meter, and then a short piece of coax to the tranceiver. And that is the best all band dipole.

G0GQK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.