Hanging Antennas

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by AA9SD, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK4ZY

VK4ZY Ham Member QRZ Page

G'day Sherman,
    I spend a lot of time in the bush here in Oz and I made a very simple little antenna hanger that gets a line into the highest trees I encounter with good accuracy. I made it using some galvanised square section steel tube in a cross configuration. On the outer ends of the cross tree I welded two 10mm galvanised bolts. I then cut a pushbike tube and attached it to the bolts. I use a golf ball as the projectile and drilled a hole through it so I could pass a stainless steel "eye" bolt to which I tied some 100lb braid fishing line. On the underside of the long shaft of the cross I have attached an old spinning reel. I simply load the golf ball into the inner tube and pull it back to a mark on the long shaft, aim above the branch I wish to get a line over and release the ball. Depending on the amount you load up the inner tube the distance you get. Accuracy is really good once you learn how to judge the trajectory of the ball over the distance you want to reach. The golf ball with the stainless eye bolt has always had sufficient weight to drop back to the ground and I then pull a heavier line (venetian blind cord) up to drag the antenna up to where I want it. Doesn't take up much room and it will throw the golf ball and line well over the length of my local football field (100m).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.