Hanging Antennas

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by AA9SD, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5SAT

K5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

i have had good luck with 3/4 grey conduit and feeding it up a tree 10' at a time. I have a ladder line up 30', could probably get 40, but heavier antenna will bend the conduit as shown in the picture. IMAG0248.jpg

Easier to remove too. I have a similar setup with my HF antenna using 2" conduit. More of a struggle, but got the 27' antenna 30' up and other than the conduit at the base, almost invisible from the street.

2. KB9LXP

KB9LXP Ham Member QRZ Page

I took an old hard ball, drilled a small hole into it, than screwed a ceiling grid wire holder screw into the hole. when I need to launch an antenna, just tie a string to the eye of the screw and fast pitch it over or through a tree. I find if my health doesn't allow me to toss the ball, some 10 year old kid will help. Ha Ha.
    Mike

3. ROBERTL

ROBERTL QRZ Member

We used the ole' sling shot method. BUT ALWAYS wear good eye protection. No exceptions

4. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know a guy in Wyoming who uses a cheap bow and arrow with an old fishing reel fastened to the bow. The other end of the line is fastened to the arrow. works very well.

5. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see this thread has been resurrected.

For this fall's antenna maintenance, I did, as threatened, acquire one of the Joplin ARC's antenna launchers (potato guns). Ridiculously easy for even a non-handy klutz like me to assemble.

While it too takes a little practice, it's proving to be a far more effective device than my slingshot ever was. I still prefer the slingshot for low/easy shots, but above 35-40 feet, the potato gun (plus a battery-operated air compressor) made this season's efforts much, much easier.

This weekend, in fact, I was able to more-or-less replicate the shot a local ham ("Robin Hood") made with a bow and arrow to get a line over a useful 80 foot tree in my yard, with none of the concerns about how my lack of coordination might complicating using a bow myself.

6. KK4RXC

KK4RXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the projectile used with the potato gun?

7. KI9M

KI9M Ham Member QRZ Page

I would guess a potato?

I used 20 pound fishing line tied around a tennis ball and launched it with a "Chuckit Pro". It's a dog toy used to launch tennis balls for my dog Casey, available at Petsmart, Petco, etc.

8. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

My launcher is also made for launching mini-tennis balls for dogs. I had to replace the line in my reel. It worked in testing and for one launch but at only 8 pound test it didn't hold up for a second launch. I also went with 20 pound test line and it seems to be doing the trick but I've only used it a couple times. All in all it seems a pretty easy way to get a line way up there!

--Sherman

9. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A PVC "bullet" - a short piece of PVC pipe with 2 end caps. One cap has an eyelet which can be attached to a fishing line.

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I built one of these when I lived in the Bay Area:

csv19.jpg

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/csv19/

I used to operating frequently from parks as the noise and restrictions at my apartment were difficult to say the least. Now it only sees occasional use, but works great.

Steve
    KV6O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.