ad: elecraft

Hanging Antennas

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by AA9SD, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Simply tie your line to a washer, cut a slit in the ball and insert the washer.

2. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

The simplest solution is often the best! Thanks for this, I'll give it a try.

As for the potato canon, I actually have two but they are frowned upon in county and state parks and a little bulky to carry when I'm on my bicycle! (Plus mine don't use compressed air but require some type of explosive substance, I usually use either hairspray or WD-40. However if I ever need to get a line up 150 feet or more they would do the job!)

--Sherman

3. N3PDT

N3PDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've gone the opposite direction. After trying fishing rods, slingshots, and a cannon, I picked up some arborists' throw line and a 10oz, and 16oz sandbag. I get 50-60 foot throws, and it fits in my /P kit - an old laptop case that holds the entire station. Compressed air cannon and cross bow were the most accurate and furthest throwing, but just added too much complication to a simple activity, at least for my purposes.

4. AA0V

AA0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went the cheap route. 10# test line, 1/2 oz. steel sinker, Zebco 202 tie wrapped to slingshot. Had to paint the sinker so I could find it on the other side. Lost a couple. Anything heavier I couldn't get to work.
    sling.jpg

5. AA9SD

Well, after getting lost in the mail for a week and then other priorities taking over I finally got around to putting together my slingshot antenna hanger. I basically just taped an ultralight spinning reel to one of the guides on the bottom that hold the "tennis balls" in place. I then cut a slit in a tennis ball as suggested and tied the fishing line to a washer and slipped it into the ball. The entire thing took ten minutes including digging through the "box 'o parts" for a suitable washer. Taping the reel on probably isn't the best long term solution as the reel can rotate a bit on the guide but as long as it doesn't fall off it works.

My first test was to just shoot the tennis ball across the yard. Success. Next I shot the ball over the top of a tree at about 35'. Worked like a charm. I didn't try going higher as I don't have any taller trees and it was 92 degrees outside. All in all though I think I've got a halfway decent solution that should give me better accuracy than I get with the throw weight and line.

--Sherman

6. AA0V

AA0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you post a pix? My slingshot with lead weight doesn't work all that well. Never have a clue where it's going to end up.

7. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're as uncoordinated as I am....practice (and a lot of lost weights) makes perfect.

That being said, when fall antenna season comes around, I'm going to give the spud gun launcher a shot. There are a couple of 70-80 foot trees I'd like to get to the top of, and I can't (yet) do it reliably with a slingshot.

8. AA9SD

Sorry, I should have posted a pic with the previous post.
    sling_shot.jpg

Notice that this slingshot doesn't have the extension that goes over your arm like a wrist rocket type; just a regular handle. Also the fabric pocket is quite large to hold the mini-tennis balls. You can see I just taped the reel to one of the supports that holds the tennis balls. It works FB though the reel can rotate a bit. I need to replace the fishing line as this line has been on this reel wound up for years. Having the reel completely filled with line reduced the friction as the line comes off the reel and your shots will go further.

What you can't really see is the slit and washer but that is pretty self-explanatory. Just take a washer about 1" or so in diameter and tie your line to it. Make a slit in the tennis ball long enough to push the washer inside and that's it. Once the line is over a branch you can pull the washer out of the tennis ball and tie your support rope to the washer and reel it back over the branch.

--Sherman

9. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I decided to take a different approach.

I bought a Superantennas YP-3 yagi and push up tower. It's a nifty 3 element yagi which you can configure for one band at a time from 6 - 20 meters. A single person can set it up. Set-up is a leisurely 30 minutes after a few times. Minimal tools--an adjustable wrench and tape measure.

The push up is actually adapted from stage lights. Three guys ropes are needed. Gets the antenna up to 21 feet.

Works great on 6 and 10, haven't tried 12 meters, 15 and 17 are good, and 20 is OK.

It stores under my class C in the storage area. Add coax and your rig. I use the Armstrong rotator, but if you are creative, then there are other options.

Jim N3AWS

10. KK4BQT

KK4BQT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a sling shot from Wal-Mart for less than $10. Works great but the trick is to keep the line tight. I use my spinning rod attached to a step ladder. For weight I use 1 1/2 oz egg sinkers. The trick is after stretching the sling shot I take 2 steps forward which removes the slack from the fishing line so that it flies. If there is slack it won't travel far. Without slack it has gone well over the top of my trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.