ad: MyersEng-1

Hanging Antennas

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by AA9SD, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using an arborist's throw weight and line to hang antennas in trees. I basically just swing the weight and throw it over a branch and it often takes several tries but I usually get the antenna up 30 feet or so. I'd like to get the job done faster and possibly get the antenna higher and I think I'd need a device to do that. So...

I've seen slingshots for sale for >$100 that seem like a more accurate method so I started looking at different slingshots available. In my searches I came across this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-TENNIS-BALL-LAUNCHER-SLING-SHOT-by-HYPER-PET-FUN-EXCITING-with-BALLS-/350781783649?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51ac393e61 Disclaimer- I have no affiliation with the seller, even as a customer yet. I know nothing about the product other than what the add states.

It seems I could just put a long thin bolt (like a 6-32 two or three inches long) through the "mini" tennis ball and attach a fishing line to it. I have a couple of old reels that I could use for the purpose. Has anyone made a "homebrew" antenna hanger from one of these? The price is right if it has the oomph to hurl the ball high enough. The add say it can throw a ball a couple hundred feet so I'm thinking 40 or 50 feet or maybe even higher should be possible.

--Sherman

2. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting I am also looking for something like this, will be interesting to see what others use. I normally just use a large nut and swing it. Launching is never very accurate!

3. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

I homebrewed a version of the BigShot line launcher you've probably seen at the arborist supply houses using surgical tubing, a couple of 4 foot mast sections, and a spincast reel. It works fabulously.

4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ditto...
    & I've learned to wear a helmet !!:eek:

5. WA4OTD

Ha! That isn't obvious until you do this!

6. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two words to say about that...

UP THERE.JPG
    (click to enlarge)

Potato Gun!

7. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I broke down and ordered one. It should be here by the weekend and I figure a day or so of messing around figuring out how to attach a fishing reel and getting a line attached to the tennis ball. I may have something to report in a week or so!

--Sherman

8. WA4OTD

Why not just use a fishing rod and ~1 oz weight?

9. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. Probably go a lot higher than the tennis ball, less wind resistance. I used 2 oz with the EzHang.

10. WA8FDY

WA8FDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a POTATO CANNON as well, in my opinion it is the best way. I have tried the fishing pole & sling shot
    and they don't come close.
    73, Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.