Hanging a transceiver on the TS-590SG DRV RCA.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ON6KE, Oct 12, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,
    In the TS-590SG brochure one mentions being able to connect a receiver (ergo transceiver) on the DRV port at the back of the TS-590SG.
    In the TS-590SG manual one mentions -20dBm i.e. 10 µWatt leakage from that port during TX of the TS-590SG. -20 dBm should be alright. I know that DRV should be Ant and not dro .

All fine and dandy but did anyone actually connect a transceiver to the DRV out RCA socket? Connecting a dongle is one thing but a not so cheap transceiver is another.

73, good DX
    Gust ON6KE

upload_2018-10-12_8-59-29.png

2. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an SDRPlay RSP1A permanently connected to that socket as my second receiver and other (also quite expensive) equipment for tests without worrying.

We have an FT990 at our club station that leaks about -10dBm on its RX out port which is the absolute limit for the RSP1, so I added a small RF relay (Matsushita RK12-1) that disconnects the RSP antenna input during transmission (isolation is about 80dB at HF), so the RSP is safe and not even overloaded during transmission any more. You can do this if you want but is is not necessary from a safety point of view.

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As OB says, it's not a worry in this case. Plenty of people are connecting their SDRs to that port with great success.

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are tempted to put a full transceiver on the DRV port, I would suggest that you put a protection device between them, to protect the DRV port in case the second radio transmits.

A device like this, or a homebrew equivalent, would be my suggestion.

5. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

The transceiver I have in mind to act as sub receiver can be - and will be - configured TX inhibited Matt.
    73, good DX.

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have a radio that can do that reliably, and 100% of the time, that's fine. :)

7. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done it and it works great.

The radios were tuned to two different frequencies. So when you hear a weak signal on the 590 and it seemed stronger on the 480, keep in mind that they are on two different frequencies.
    Also, the TS 890S was not out when I made this video. I did see the 890 also offers a receive jack on the back of the radio so you should be able to do the same with it as well.

Barry, KU3X

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018