Hang 2m/70cm antenna in Attic?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KF5LJW, Mar 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

There's so much signal attenuating crap inside the attic, I would at least try to attach it outside to the PVC stink pipe on the roof.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a good VHF location, the indoor antenna will likely do whatever the user expects.

Will be a vertical plumb bob until mice start fooling with the coax.:p

3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Installed countless dozens of micro sites inside Verizon Retail Stores. The Antennas for those are real easy to see up on the underside of the drop ceiling in the customer area. Done that way intentionally to limit range and prevent neighboring retailers from accessing. They do that as part of Marketing to get speeds up to fool customers. Store attendents and sales use WiFi so as not to impede LTE speeds. We turn the power way down low so you cannot even access from parking lots.

Heck even some Allmarts today have a contract with Verizon. Look up on the walls of the Cart Bins and out in the Garden Centers for the radios and antennas. There are on the Concrete Block Walls inside the building.

However Cellular radio freq at 700 Mhz to 2.5 Ghz and have little to do with or behave like 144 and 444 Mhz. Not too worried about performance as we can hit all repeaters of interest inside with an HT. A base antenna in the attic and 10 to 12 Db more TX power will be a significant improvement over an HT.

4. KF5LJW

Impossible, like I said HOA.

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "Cellular radio freq at 700 Mhz to 2.5 Ghz and have little to do with or behave like 144 and 444 Mhz. "

I would disagree on this. 440 for instance is affected by seasonal vegetation growth, as are the higher frequencies. 145 not so much of course ... and then there is VHF low band (affected more by power line noise than anything else as I saw it.)

There is a big difference from installing dozens of microsites versus the engineering that was done 25 years ago when solving some of these issues were in their infancy and small, economic solutions were not as plentiful. EAC-IIs were around several manufacturers were starting to make BDAs ... Ericsson had their RBS884 series microcells out about that same time. "Border protectors" (radiating a cell systems SYSID) were used to protect (steer system accesses) some areas as were shared cellsites by a few carriers in the markets I worked.

ON top of that, brick is still lossy as is stucco with steel mesh behind it. Creek bottoms are still creek bottoms, although losses over 'knife edge' are lower with longer wavelength. You're not the only one this 'board' who has experienced, looked at these issue from the professional side.

Any time you can get the base station antenna above the 'ruts' formed by structures comprising a subdivision, as I wrote before, you are ahead of the game. The next big obstacles (speaking as an RF coverage engineer) are the geographic features in an area like hills or rises; the Preston Road Ridge figures prominently for instance when doing radio prop studies looking east from Collin County - that ridge pretty much determines the extent of coverage that direction.

6. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Diamond X50A In my attic, been there about 2 years, would it have better range outside? Of course... But it allows me to get into the repeaters I need to, some as far away as 20 Miles running 10 watts... No problems with the coax and mice, just keep some decon or some kind of rodent stuff in the attic to kill them off.

20190325_104103.jpg

K5TCJ likes this.
  7. KF5LJW

That is fine, I get your point and agree coverag ei snot optimal. Sometimes us pale face Injuneers fail to see the Forest because the trees block our view and we don't see the whole picture. :):)

My question was electrical oriented, not coverage. Coverage is more than good enough with a HT and Rubber Duckie in the attic as tested. A base antenna and 2m/70cm base radio can only improve things a bit which meets the objective. All he wants to do is work repeaters and no interest in local simplex.