ad: elecraft

Handy safety tip for your HT

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WC3T, Apr 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it's not strictly germane to the charter of this group, but it does involve an HT so it's probably at home here more than anywhere else.

I have a smattering of HTs all over the place. I decided to put one in service as an APRS RF gateway to my APRS server at home. So I took one of my AnyTone NSTIG-8Rs and parked it in the charging stand, and it served me for a good long while... I sort of lost track of how long, to tell the truth.

Yesterday I decided to put the other one in service (I had two) to avoid risk to my Kenwood TH-F6. But I couldn't find the other charging stand. So I said to myself, "Self," I said, "Go swap the batteries out of the APRS unit upstairs." Except that I had the devil's own time trying to get the battery OUT and when I managed to do it, I noticed that it was... bulging. Oopsie.

So I plugged the dead battery in and left it there overnight to give my other HT a good charge, and of course ordered a new battery/cradle.

That could have ended very badly. So please do not park your HTs in a live charging cradle for years and years without checking things. Lesson learned.

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

MY HTs are all parked in charging cradles except for one that doesn't have a cradle. The only ones that stay live are the Wouxuns because they have a cut off circuit. The others are all unplugged.

WC3T likes this.
  3. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every battery chemistry has different characteristics.

One characteristic of modern lithium-ion batteries is that they are NOT in their most stable state when at 100% charge. Their 'happy place' is between 40% and 80% charge. Almost every manufacturer recommends storing them at 40% charge.

The battery will not necessarily explode if you regularly charge it to 100%; but keeping at 100% for days or weeks on end will certainly shorten the overall life of the battery.

Getting the most out of your Li-ion battery means never letting it drop to 0, and never or rarely charging it all the way to 100%