Hands down best 2 meter base vertical antenna

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI4RVY, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KD4MZM

KD4MZM Subscriber QRZ Page

I would go with the cushcraft dual-band beam. This would give you more bang for the buck. One thing that I wouldn't go cheap on is the coax, this could kill all your rf power getting to the antenna and the signals coming down to the radio. Cheap coax and a good antenna is still a cheap setup, but great coax and a fair antenna will work wonders. It's all in the coax that can kill a station setup.

Eric...

2. N7SGM

N7SGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Arrow Antenna Osj 146/440

Hello KI4RVY,

Check out the Arrow Antenna #OSJ 146/440 at arrowantenna.com This looks like an antenna built like a tank and according to their data, has extremely flat SWR's accross the bands. Best of all, it has a $39 price tag at AES. You may also check out the reviews at eham.com. Good luck!

73's de Bob

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  3. KD5QFL

KD5QFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully, he'll see this thread is still alive and tell us what antenna he chose 16 months ago.

4. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Unless you plan on doing a lot of simplex work having an amp on 2 meters and 440 can be a waste of money. Most rigs today have a descent amount of output power. The antennas you are looking at also have descent amount of gain which will just amplify that 50 watts your rig may put out.

Having an amp on 2 meters and 440 FM is pretty useless because if you can't hear the person or repeater all the power in the world will mean nothing. Save your money and try just the antenna with some descent feedline and see how well it works before putting down the $$$$ for an amp you may not even need.

5. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't trust the gain figures you see in Ham literature at all.

They are 99% bull.

Looking just at two meters.....

The best antenna would be a Celwave Super Stationmaster. It is about 24 feet long and has about 6dB gain. Or you can get a 4 bay dipole that is about 24 feet tall and it has about 6dB gain. It takes about 25 feet of length to get 6dB gain on two meters over a reference half-wave.

Compare that to the grossly inflated figures for Ham antennas.

If I had to buy a cheap Ham antenna I'd buy the Isopole or something similar of they still make it.

Since you want a dual band antenna you might be stuck buying a Ham antenna. I'd ask around and see what people like, but I would NEVER buy one over another based on published gain. I'd buy by size and life. Not by gain since it appears to mostly be a fib.

73 Tom

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  6. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

hi
    i don't believe the numbers make any since what so ever
    i am not going to dwell on this posting about this antenna and that antenna
    but i Will state this, a 1/2 wave is better than a 1/4 wave and a full wave is better than a 1/2 wave do the math 19 1/4 is a 1/4 wave x that by 4 and it puts you in the ball park for lots of gain...

i have a GP9 i am on a kinda hill about 60-80 ft above sea level my GP9 is mounted on a 28ft Rohn 20G tower and strapped to a 10 ft 5/8th mast, with a 25G bottom section and a 25G base plate all bolted in to concrete and strapped to the house with brackets and grounded...

on a good night i can talk as far as the Georgia state line and sea-bring and Arcadia depending on band conditions i don't use an amp, well thats a lie, my Icom 211 puts out 10 watts max, i run it thru a 30 watt linear to bring the radio almost up to standards.
    the coax i chose was LMR 400 with N-type connectors as it was a good deal that i could not refuse i also have to agree with other posters that cheap coax will give you cheap resoults... The GP9 was up for over 3 years on a 30 push up pole running RG8x, not good for long runs of 80ft on the U/vhf bands the loss is lousy.

when we installed the new tower and mast along with the new LMR 400 i have notice a big difference in signal RX and also my TX, i am feeding the base of the antenna with more DB coming from my radio due to low loss in the LMR 400, and the radio and i am very happy
    go and look at some charts for different coax/feed lines loss and you will see the difference, as i did...

also
    location location, location
    for V/Uhf hight is everything the higher you get that antenna up, the better it will work for you provided you feed it with the right stuff
    i would go with the LMR 400 and also don't forget to GROUND that tower
    use short runs (5Ft or less) of # 6 wire or as thick as you can get it
    check each connection(s) and weather Prof all your connections

good luck, if you like to check out our
    2 meter simplex group (link below)
    73 K4eeZ :)

7. KC9GLD

KC9GLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Build a 1/2 inch copper J-Pole, not only does copper radiate 1.5% more efficiently than any aluminum antenna of the same design, but Marconi spins in his grave everytime a ham BUYS an antenna...

just my opinion...GLD

8. K9KEN

K9KEN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had excellent luck with the diamond x510 plus it has a nice gain.

9. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Longevity wise, Diamond has been the best. I still have a mag mount that I use that I have had for over 12 years now, it was the first mobile antenna I ever bought. I have a vertical at home thats been in service now well over 3 years, still looks like new.

Most verticals on the market will probably work well for any use that you can give it-but for durability Diamond, at least by my experience, cannot be beat.

The copper J pole works well also, but I wouldn't put more than 50W through one. And unless you're working FM DX, or a repeater far away with 100W output, an amp for FM probably won't help you much. However, an amp that will work SSB also....is a good investment, however, keep in mind that SSB on 2m is Horizontal....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.