Hands down best 2 meter base vertical antenna

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI4RVY, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

>
    Is your dentist also a Ham operator?

Hmmm..... (Note to self: look for new dentist....)<

::Nope, I simply asked him. "If I come in at the end of the day when you're closed, can I use one of your X-ray stations to look inside small electronic gadgets?" He said he'd do it for me if I brought the parts in. Nice guy.

>By the way - in the ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes thread, Glen mentioned something about you being in QST. Which issue? Will you be participating in the contest this weekend?<

::I'm sure it was an older issue. I've been in QST many, many times. Also been on the cover of CQ magazine (Jan '85). Won a great many VHF contests from about 1968 to 1988 -- a 20-year run. Did all that from back in NJ, which is where I'm from originally. One year (I think it was '75 or '76) I had national first place, single op, in all three major VHF-UHF contests (June VHF QSO Party, September VHF QSO Party, January VHF Sweepstakes), highest score in the country all three times. Had a big station with two towers and a lot of antennas, lived on the highest hill for miles in any direction.

I don't do that anymore, not so much for lack of interest but because it's impossible to have that kind of home location in southern California: All the mountaintops are county forest land, state forest land or federal forest land! Impossible to buy a mountaintop here. And if you're not on one, you can't rack up the huge scores because the mountains are in the way, break up the tropo badly. This is why so many serious VHF-UHF contesters here do "Rover" stations; that's still fun, and you can be competitive from anywhere if you have good rover stations, excellent operating skills and a lot of time...

WB2WIK/6

2. N0NCO

N0NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice dentist you have there, indeed....

That's an impressive run of successful contesting, to be sure! Especially getting that single-op hatrick! I'll bet that you have quite a few interesting DX stories to tell......

I'm curious as to what your fixed station setup(s) were for contesting before you relocated. Also - do you currently participate as a rover?

Back when I lived in California I wasn't a Ham. Most of my VHF work has been from northern Minnesota, however, I have done a bit of mobile VHF work from the NE & SW Washington areas - I know what you mean about the mountains disrupting the tropo.

I recently relocated to the Minneapolis area, and currently have room for only a single 8-element quad on 2 meters for horizontal work and a discone for vertical work on 6 meters & up. Both are on temporary mounts out on the deck. The quad is @ ~30' AGL & the discone is @ 20' AGL. I've made a few 1,000 mile plus Es contacts and a fair number of tropo contacts with the quad & 170 watts, and I worked a bit of aurora on 6 meters a couple months ago with 100 watts into the discone.

What bands are you currently active on?

Joel - N0NCO

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

>I'm curious as to what your fixed station setup(s) were for contesting before you relocated. Also - do you currently participate as a rover?<

::Back in NJ when I was actively VHF contesting, my setup was mostly:

6m = 1.5 kW PEP (homebrew 4-1000A) to four stacked 5 element yagis at 65 feet above ground; receiver and exciter Microwave Modules MMT50-28 and Kenwood TS-830S used as I.F. for both TX/RX. No 6m FM.

2m = 1.0 kW PEP (homebrew 2 x 4CX250B) to three different long boom yagis, each 13 elements on 22' boom, on three rotators so I could aim in different directions and switch quickly -- all beams up 55 to 70 feet AGL; receiver and exciter Microwave Modules MMT144-28S and Yaesu FT-901DM as I.F. for both TX/RX. 2m FM = 400W output (4CX250B) to four 4 element vertical yagis; rig = Kenwood TR-7400A.

135cm = 1.0 kW PEP (homebrew 2 x 4CX250B) to pair of 17 element long yagis (19' booms) stacked at 65' AGL; receiver and exciter Microwave Modules MMT220-28 and Drake "4 line" as I.F. for both TX/RX. 135cm FM = 300W output (4CX250B) to single 9 element vertical yagi; rig = Clegg FM76.

70 cm = 1.0 kW PEP (single 8877) to four 21 element long yagis (14' booms) stacked at 55' AGL; receiver and exciter Microwave Modules MMT432-28 and Kenwood TS-830S as I.F. for both TX/RX. 70cm FM = 200W output (4CX250B) to Stationmaster omni vertical at ~90' or single 11 element vertical yagi at 50'.

33cm = 200W PEP (four 2C39As) to four 33 element loop yagis (12' booms) stacked at 75' AGL; receiver and exciter SSB Electronic GmbH LT-33S and Drake "4 line" as I.F. for both TX/RX. No FM station.

23cm = 200W PEP (four 2C39As) to four 55 element loop yagis (12' booms) stacked at 85' AGL; receiver and exciter SSB Electronics GmbH LT-23S and Ten-Tec Omni A as I.F. for both TX/RX. No FM station.

On 6m, used just Times FM8 as coax; all the other bands used 7/8" hardline. Antennas were on three towers, one for just the 6m array, one 2m beam and a 220 MHz vertical beam for FM (at about 85'); the other two sharing all the other antennas.

Stations lined three walls of a 16 x 22' room and panoramic view of the shack appeared in QST with contest results for one of the January SS. All stations independent from each other, so I could just change chairs to switch bands and transmit on one band while monitoring the other five. I had small stations on and off for 13cm and above, but nothing great and nothing permanent. Station described here is what I had set up in Mt. Olive, NJ on a hilltop overlooking Budd Lake.

As for "rovering," I've done it, but not much. My good friend Wayne N6NB (http://www.n6nb.com) has four great 10-band VHF-UHF-SHF rover stations set up in one van and three SUVs and constantly invites me to drive one, but he takes it really seriously and this involves dedicating three days to the contest: Saturday and Sunday to drive and operate, and Monday to return from the most distant grid, which is always up in northern CA, 500 miles away. It's fun, but a lot of work. He's doing it again, tomorrow -- and invited me again, but I can't go.

>What bands are you currently active on?<

::Everything from 1.8 through 432 MHz; however "most" activity lately has been on 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m and a bit on 6m and 2m, little bit on 70cm. My "daily" activity is mostly HF and wherever propagation is -- for my operating schedule, that's more 40m than any other band.

73 & hope to CU on the bands!

Steve WB2WIK/6

4. N0NCO

N0NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve,

Impressive & interesting stations! I enjoy talking tech & learning what gear others have used. Thanks for taking the time to post the detailed info.

I look forward to talking with you on the bands in the near future!

Joel - N0NCO

5. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the Spectral (formerly AEA) IsoPole twin 5/8 wavelength antenna.  

[​IMG]

I've not used one, but I understand they enjoy and excellent reputation.  Does anyone know otherwise?

6. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

MY dentist is a Ham operator.   KC4ZEJ, Michael Mock DDS.  His practice is right here in Mt. Pleasant NC.

But I still haven't got any fillings with built-in BFO.   [​IMG]

7. K9KJM

K9KJM Ham Member QRZ Page

The AEA Isopole was kind of popular around here for a while. Its big claim to fame is its wide bandwidth (Works good in the ham two meter band AND up around 155 Mhz.
    Some claim it had a low angle of radiation ............
    Everyone soon found out that even at low heights, The upper radiator would whip around and snap off in the wind.
    I tried one side mounted up a little higher on a commercial tower.........    Did not even last a year and the bottom part blew off too...........
    I still have a few broken ones laying in the junk aluminum pile here.  [​IMG]

8. KI4RVY

KI4RVY Ham Member QRZ Page

Im going to get a Comet GP-9 or a GP-6.. Any pros or cons?

9. KC9GLD

KC9GLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think if it was me, I would solder together a dual band J pole from 1/2 " copper pipe for $20.00 and spend the other $80. on a couple more sections of tower since your aim right now is vhf @ uhf...

10. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Then just don't read them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.