Hands down best 2 meter base vertical antenna

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI4RVY, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, but anybody can buy it for $687.28, and as an RFS reseller I can buy them all day long for less than that.

Still fairly pricey, though, compared with "amateur" antennas.

The other suggestion about the Hustler G7-144 is a good one; that's a fine antenna that is built better than the Diamonds and Comets etc. I've had one since 1986, now 21 years old, still looks and works fine after exposure to lots of wind and weather as well as large birds.

WB2WIK/6

2. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

big non inductive 52 ohm resistor
    inside a paint can full of oil
    makes a dandy 2 meter fm antenna

Mac

3. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve ( WIK ) and Mac ( ZNX ) ,

You guys are a hoot ... While I agree the Phelps Dodge decendents ARE good antennae .... Also, I think ( construction wise ) that the Hustler G-6 and G-7 ' s are good..

I have a Hustler dual band colinear yet I don't think it would like 200 - 300 watts though..

You guys missed the point .. Cheap on a 20 ' tower ... More power .... power is it man !! Not antennae !!

You and I know where this power idea came from ...

I just hope he shakes this power thing outta his system ....

Amps come along later , after you work out the basics ... He MIGHT be surprised how far some of these " good " antennae will work ...

It's not just AMP POWER ....

Mac, sometimes you crack me up just telling the truth !!

JB WØJBC
    Clinton Township , Michigan

4. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

About 1/2 the hams at my local club use these. The ARX2B has good gain, handles 1KW and are well under $100. Most of the stations running this antenna have great signals to the repeater here. Sorry that I can't speak from personal experience but they don't allow antennas here.

As far as repeaters, most here have a PL, so interference is not too bad of a problem.

* LINK *

5. KI4RVY

KI4RVY Ham Member QRZ Page

Its NOT cheap on the antenna! Just cheap on changing the tower. I want to use it and isnt location. StationMaster might be on the high side though [​IMG]

I checked with the local electronics store and asked about the LMR400 and 600 but they didnt have any and wanted to sell me RG8 at $3.08 per foot or Belden 9913 at $2.44 per foot. Any of these two any good and what about the price?

6. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey guy,

You also need to look at Hustler's G6 Series.

They are repeater-commercial grade (heavy duty), have good honest gain and won't bankrupt you in the buying process. An outstanding feature is their wider-than-most-everyone-else's bandwidth.

Their G6 144B is 6db gain and has a whopping 7mhz bandwidth. Mine goes from 142.5-149.5mhz strait through with 1:1 SWR. Amazing. Their dual-band model in this series has 4mhz bandwidth at 2M and 10mhz bandwidth at 440. Model here is G6 270R.

On the shelf at Ham Radio Outlet and other ham retailers. Free shipping on these at HRO (all orders of typical items over $100).

good luck

7. N0NCO

N0NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

9913 is excellent coax. I've used it for years, and have never had a problem with it. Some people have reported moisture-related trouble with it. However, if it is installed correctly, it works perfectly - and will easily last for 5-10 years in the typical environmental conditions found in most of the USA. Personally, I'd stay away from the generic RG-8 for VHF/UHF work.

The prices you posted seem screwy, as 9913 is usually more expensive than generic RG-8. That said - even $2.88/ft is steep for Belden 9913. It should be closer to $1/ft for a 100' length.

I suggest you try a different shop, or order some on-line. If you don't have much experience with coax & connectors, 9913 can be a bit tougher to deal with than regular RG-8. The center conductor is 10 gauge - so be sure to buy connectors designed for the large center conductor. Also, it has a 6" minimum bend radius, so don't bend it too sharply. Finally, since it has an air dielectric, proper connector sealing is mandatory to maintain its electrical performance.

Hope this helps!

73, and good luck!

Joel - N0NCO

8. KC4HGH

KC4HGH Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree- "dbd", or gain over a dipole is more realistic- seems like you have to subtract something like 2.14 from the "dbi" figure to get something closer to real-use gain figures....

I remember that CB antenna mfrs. used "dbi" to make their antennas sound better than the competition's product...kinda sorta lying about gain, IMO!

9. AI4IJ

AI4IJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest that you get some LMR-600 off of ebay for $0.89 per foot, plus $25.00 for a pair of N connectors, plus shipping.  Preferably, get an antenna that already has an N female connector; and, use an adapter at the radio, if needed.

Alternately, keep your eyes open on ebay for a run of used Heliax LDF4-50A or FSJ4-50B Superflex with connectors already installed.  I picked up a 68 foot run of LDF4-50A with an N male connector at one end and a SO-239 UHF connector at the other end for $24.99, plus 19.99 for shipping.  LDF4-50A has less loss than LMR-600.  FSJ4-50B Superflex has less loss than LMR-400, but more loss than LMR-600 - but, it's easier to use.

The guy who quoted you those prices doesn't really have any interest in selling coax cable - at least, not to those with any sense about them.  Those prices are outrageous.

Richard
    AI4IJ

10. KC0NBW

KC0NBW Ham Member QRZ Page

8214 works good at vhf/uhf and it is easier to come by than 9913.

i have an old heathkit 5/8 wave groundplane at about 25 feet at home (northern minnesota), i have no problem bringing up the grand rapids repeaters from my place which is located just east of u.s. highway 53.

i bought a ringo ranger at a hamfest last year that i have up here in wisconsin for right now, but it is going on the roof as soon as i get back home in the spring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.