ad: k1jek

Handhelds: top of the line or nothing at all?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI6MU, Nov 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KK7BMS

KK7BMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I can do PSR and Ham and Mike easily with my Yaesu 2800. Baofeng, not so much. I can get Weather and Broadcast FM. I am thinking of upgrading to an Anytone DMR...

WR3V likes this.
  2. KD8WU

KD8WU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still like my IC-W32a that I bought brand new.

3. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then the repeater need a better antenna.
    (ducks and runs away)

4. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hadn’t purchased an HT in around 30 years - we have an old Radio Shack HTX 202 that was my wife’s, and a Kenwood TH 28a that was mine. We used them a fair amount in the past, especially when helping out on communication for local events like bike races and an annual balloon festival. They’re both still working just fine, but this thread got me thinking about a new one.

We now have a few 70cm repeaters in the area, and I wanted to see how much area they cover, but neither of our old HTs transmit on 440MHz. So I purchased a very basic Yaesu FT-65R, paid $80 for it, and I’m quite impressed.

It has excellent receive audio, is said to have good transmit audio, it’s smaller than my old HTs and seems quite well and durably made - in Japan, if the marking on the radio is to be believed.

Definitely not top of the line, but more than adequate for my purposes.
    I’m glad to have it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  5. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Where the heck do all you guys live that there's no VHF/UHF activity and cell coverage is universal? Here in western Virginia and over in to the state of West Virginia there is plenty of VHF/UHF activity. We have a 220 repeater system that covers about half the state of VA and has lots of activity. There's also a UHF linked system that covers parts of VA, WV, NC, and SC. I have QSOs just about every day on both 220 and 2 meter repeaters.
    Roughly once a week I work somewhere with no cell phone service. I was just in such a place today. I had my VX6R with my on 2 m simplex and my Yaesu FTM-400 in my work truck set up as a cross band repeater. It was working into a 70cm repeater near Roanoke that is linked to another 70 cm machine near my house. If my wife had needed to contact me today she could have on the radio.
    I live in sight of the antennas of a 2m, 220, and 70cm repeater so I really like my VX6. Since my wife's a ham we often use HT's when we're camping and boating to stay in touch with each other. My favorite lake in Bath County, VA has no cell phone coverage. I've taken my Yaesu FT-1XDR on the boat a couple times so I certainly understand wanting a water resistant radio. My HT's I carry when working take a beating when I'm in an attic or crawl space so i appreciate ruggedness their. I refuse to buy any Chinese radios. From what I hear they are complete garbage.

W5ESE likes this.
  6. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

The DMR models seem to be ok. I am quite pleased with my GD-77. Other OMs in the club appear quite happy with their AT-D878.

7. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Anytone 878 is one of the best built radios I have had - and that includes some fairly expensive Yaesus and ICOMS. It is physically well designed and solidly built - and the battery life is unbelievable. In common with most Chinese dual band radios, it is direct conversion which makes it a bit vulnerable to strong signals in-band but that has never been a problem here - it's pretty rare that there is more than one signal audible on 2m!

I dislike buying Chinese electronics - not because it is poor quality but because I dislike the Chinese. Unfortunately, we have little choice these days - if you buy a Yaesu or ICOM, the most that you can hope for is that the final assembly took place in Japan - most of the components will have been manufactured in China and any sub-assemblies will also have been manufactured there...

Martin (G8FXC)