ad: k1jek

Hamvention Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Jan 29, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I give up! Where is Greene county? Ireland?

2. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Greene County is a county located in the U.S. state of Ohio and it's located just East of Dayton.

3. W4UDX

W4UDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I rode their shuttle bus from the dairy farm North of the site Friday morning. Got there quick as the bus driver knew an alternate route around the traffic jam! That's my plan for this year. If you drive yourself to the site, prepare to be stuck in traffic. I'm grateful they are providing the shuttle bus service...

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep....they got the logistics figured out very nicely after the first day.
    I will be there signing my new book, Receiving Antennas for the Radio Amateur. Come out and make me rich and famous. :)
    Eric

KA0HCP, WA8FOZ and W1YW like this.
  5. AF8JC

AF8JC Ham Member QRZ Page

Last year there were three "park & ride" locations. The closest is the Xenia High School parking lot - very close, but you still have to get to the school and that entails dealing with some Hamvention traffic. It is a VERY short ride. My friends used the second option, which is Young's Dairy on route 68. It is about 11 miles north and takes about 15 minutes. On the plus side, this is super easy to get into and super easy to exit. There is also a route 68 exit right off I-70. So if you are coming via I-70, you just get off at exit 52 (Rt 68 South) and drive about 5 miles and pull into the parking area across from Young's Jersey Dairy. This place is a popular attraction for both locals and tourists. This option is the easiest for the driver. The third option is kind of a secret. Sure it's publicized on the website, but I think a lot of folks overlook its advantages. First of all, how to find it; here is a decent address to use with your mapping program or GPS: 3395 Seajay Dr, Dayton, OH 45430. This is a significant sized shopping center that has seen better days. There is a large used car dealership that is vacant and several other large stores that have disappeared. What is left are a few stores/restaurants (including Bob Evans) and LOTS of parking. This location has easy access to US Route 35 (which has a direct exit from I-75) and the roads are all at least 4 lanes with just a couple of red lights between the main highway and the parking lot. It is only about 8 miles and 12 minutes to Hamvention. The best kept secret about "park & ride" is that last year, many of the shuttles would drop their passengers right at the gate (special gate I do believe) and they could go right in while their "drive in" counterparts were waiting en-mass to gain entry. Imagine being chauffeured right to the entrance where you are granted almost immediate entrance! I did hear a lot of grumbling about this last year, so it may not function exactly that way again. The shuttles are allowed to travel thru residential areas that will be restricted to those of you driving in. This keeps the shuttles from getting stuck in traffic and keeps the residential neighbors appeased. I work there and arrive about 4:30am to begin my day. I get good parking on site, as you might imagine. My friends elected to use the Young's Dairy "park & ride" and absolutely raved about the convenience. Another of my friends drove in and waited for almost 2 hours on Friday to gain access. His parking was on site, but still too far to carry his 50lb "boat anchor" from the flea market. Fortunately, I work at the flea market and my vehicle was parked close by. If you see yourself carrying a 100lbs of bulky radio equipment, "park & ride" might not work well for you (in fact, nothing may work well for you). There you have my 2 cents based on last year's experience. This year could be very different.

W4KVW likes this.
  6. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Parking off site requires catching a shuttle every time you buy an item unless you wish too carry them all day? We made many trips to my truck during Hamcation but I was parked right outside the main entrance.It happens every year so I see it as a Pain in the Rear.If you don't buy transceivers,amplifiers,or other larger items it may not be such a hassle but I take everything back to my truck so my hands are free.They will never fix that issue.The one trip I made to Dayton we purchased a 2 meter repeater so again a trip to the parking lot & several more trips for other items on Friday & Saturday.A lot of wasted time catching shuttles & it's a very long trip from Florida for wasting all of that time.It will never be anywhere as well laid out as Dayton or even Hamcation but it will always be hyped no matter how poorly the plans are.It's far from being enjoyable carrying around all the bags & boxes full of my purchased items & I'm sure it is for many others as well.I don't see any possible fix for that big issue at that site ever.

Clayton
    W4KVW

7. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Check out Gary's interview with the folks from DARA, they have a new plan for swap meet items. About 7 mins in they reveal the plan.

8. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you plan to make a heavy boat-anchor type of purchase , get there early as I did (~7:30 AM). I had no problem parking close to the gate. If you plan on not having a good time, you needn’t bother.

9. W8GRI

W8GRI Ham Member QRZ Page

My fourteenth year in a row and had a blast at Xenia! We stay in Dayton and drive about 11 miles.... Parking was good for me, only the mud was a problem in the flea market. Friday our group joined in Rex Harper's build-a-thon at the Holiday Inn in Beaver creek. Saturday we participated in a 25 hidden transmitter or FOX hunt right across the road from the main gate. On the day before the HAMvention we have a free day and visit places like the National AIR Force Museum also Mendleson's.
    Good food at the HAMvention, almost need five days to sample it all! I'll miss HARA but this is going to be great!

73 Rod W8GRI

10. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I never know what I am going to purchase & everybody can't park close to the front gate.I have made this a non issue by deciding to never attend this event at the new location.My 2013 trip was more than enough for me & a lot of fun. Hamcation 2018 had everything I would ever want or need & it was far closer & far more organized & everybody parked on site so the above issue is NEVER an issue there.Thanks for your input it was a big help. 73 OM ;):):cool::po_O:rolleyes:

Clayton
    W4KVW