ad: portazero-1

Hamvention To Feature Emergency Communication

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Mar 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W8HJR

W8HJR Ham Member QRZ Page

In keeping with its theme, "Serving the Community", Hamvention 2018 is offering an opportunity for Amateur Radio groups to display the vehicles they use to serve their communities. A special area has been set aside at the Greene County Fairgrounds and Expo Center for emergency communication trailers, vans, trucks and other vehicles. Organizers hope that emergency response groups such as ARES, RACES, and CERT, or any groups, who have an interest in amateur radio emergency communication will participate.

Those displaying vehicles are encouraged to have units manned, functional and able to demonstrate the unit's capabilities throughout the show. The displays will allow groups planning to develop their own units to get suggestions and ideas and ask questions of those supporting the vehicles.

Gary Hollenbaugh, NJ8BB, who has coordinated Hamvention EmComm vehicle displays for ten years, said that many groups are thinking about building units and could get beneficial ideas from the displayed vehicles. He encouraged teams to have information about their unit to share.

Hollenbaugh, who also serves as an assistant to the ARES Section Emergency Coordinator for Ohio, said he is looking for ideas for innovative solutions. Past displays have ranged from a pop-up tent at the rear of a pickup truck to complex RV based vehicles. Groups wishing to participate can obtain more information on the Hamvention web site EmComm page.

Emergency communicators will also have an opportunity to attend more than ten forums dealing with public service operations. Those attending at least three of the public service forums sponsored by the ARRL will receive a certificate. One of the sessions will offer attendees a chance to hear first hand reports from amateur operators who served in Puerto Rico after the hurricane. For more details check the Hamvention website Forums page.

Ron Cramer, KD8ENJ, Hamvention General Chairman, said, "Our theme recognizes the valuable service that amateur radio provides to our communities. We hope the EmComm Display and forums provide valuable information we can all use to be better prepared for that service."

Hamvention 2018, the world's largest amateur radio gathering, will be held May 18-20 at the Greene County Fairgrounds and Expo Center in Xenia, OH.

WJ2L, AC7DD and NK9Y like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent program!

Special note of this:

The displays will allow groups planning to develop their own units to get suggestions and ideas and ask questions of those supporting the vehicles.

AND this.....

One of the sessions will offer attendees a chance to hear first hand reports from amateur operators who served in Puerto Rico after the hurricane.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    N9YB likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking forward to the pictures from the "mobile" section of the Hamvention. :)

WJ2L likes this.
  4. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

Whilst Ham Radio is a lot of fun to play around with, it has always been my belief that our only serious value (aside from general knowledge) in being ready to aid and be of assistance in serious times. I know that a lot of us stand ready to prove our value and I do salute those organizations dedicated to search and rescue and traffic handling in time when it will be of certain help to people in general.

5. W5JCK

W5JCK Ham Member QRZ Page

While I agree the EMCOMM is a a good thing to prepare for, and spent years doing so, the fact remains that most government agencies from the local, county, state, and federal levels do NOT want to work with amateurs. I see their point. Ever really listen to a skywarn/weather net? It sounds like bubba redneck and his half-wit cousins having a QSO party. At least it does here in north Texas. The lack of professionalism and real training has turned out a lot of so-called hams that only got their tickets so they could yap on the air during weather events. They are more of a hindrance than a help. The only agency here that really appreciates and uses amateur radio EMCOMM is the NWS. And even they get rather upset with the poor training and ridiculous reporting many of the local yocals provide. It is probably much better in rural areas where people and agencies are used to working together, but in large metro areas it is a joke. Cities like Arlington pretend to want EMCOMM hams, but they never use them. They are only used to get grant money which is then used for things other than EMCOMM. It is joke. With today's modern communications capabililities, most agencies from local to feds have hams way out classed. We simply are not necessary any more. We try to convince ourselves we are, be we really are not. Even the hurricane nets seem to be joke for the most part. I tuned into them this past autumn and heard mostly dead air and static. We are no longer a radio relay league of hams, nor have we been so for decades. We are merely individuals yapping with one another over the radio waves, when we actually use radio waves that is

If you want to participate in EMCOMM, then great. Train properly to help the NWS during weather events. But don't be a bubba redneck idiot on the air wasting air time reporting 2 drops of rain per hour. Geez, I actually heard a TCRACES report this past weekend that sounded something like this, "This is [callsign], a friend told me that he overheard a guy who talked over the phone to someone near [location] that reported [weather condition]." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Don't be that idiot, please!!!!

AA5LS likes this.
  6. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

A common theme that seems to be part of every Emcomm discussion is the lamentable behavior of "hams". But we should remember the many occasions when hams were "boots on the ground" and provided invaluable service during an actual emergency. Bubba redneck is part of our hobby. The challenge is to learn how to enable and inspire these people, not simply make fun of them. Rather than look at the other guy and complain, we should remember that sometimes WE are the problem, not the solution. I am not an active Emcomm volunteer, but I do go to the occasional Emcomm event to remain connected to the local community. The "bubba" effect keeps me from getting too involved but I have learned how to accept everyone for who they are and contribute what I can, when I can.
    AF4RK

AA5LS likes this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

It's stuff like this that we could do without:

7n1djap.jpg

Attached Files:

AI7PM likes this.
  8. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

The operative word here is "were" , past tense, but it hasn't sunk into some heads yet........not even at HQ.

9. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Got it at whacker central and they threw in the duct tape free.........the antennas on the hood alone are worth more than that mobile storage unit :) What, no magnetic door sign?