ad: elecraft

Hamvention Theme

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Jan 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm excited about the noo venyoo.

K9ASE and WA8FOZ like this.
  2. WN8BOB

WN8BOB Ham Member QRZ Page

First Dayton Hamvention was 1979,i have a feeling it just won't be the same,no matter where else its held...WN8BOB

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It absolutely won't be the same:

--no black mold
    --no water stains
    --no wet lavatory floors
    --no overflowing toilets
    --no funky overfragrance of sweat
    --no post-Mad Max parking lots
    --no sh** volcanoes
    --no more getting lost in a lambrynth
    --no more parking fees
    --no more sense of America as a decaying wasteland
    --no more (unwillingly) hearing a forum from your seat in another
    --no more fodder for hams*xy....

Yep. It just WON'T be the same!

AD0JA, K8AI, WT8WV and 1 other person like this.
  4. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No it won't. But that doesn't mean it won't be as good, or even better. My guess, and only a guess, is that it will be somewhat smaller than before, given that the venue is new and appears smaller. But if some of the extraneous non-ham vendors are squeezed out, the experience could be better. Parking looks like an improvement as well. Food and lavatories could not be worse!

DARA has put a lot of work into this, and are very committed to making it great. There will inevitably be glitches and curmudgeons to complain about them. But I feel enthusiastic about Hamvention 2017. See you there!

VE3LDJ and WT8WV like this.
  5. WT8WV

WT8WV Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't wait to see the new place! My first time at Hamvention was in 1980... and it hadn't really changed for the better aesthetics-wise since then. Yes, there was a sentimental attachment to Hara Arena in some ways but I think we will be happy... maybe happier... at the new location. I plan to support DARA and Hamvention, as always. They bust their butts for us all and figure they ALL had major doses of heartburn making the decision that change HAD to happen. They are taking a huge risk just to keep us all happy. I, for one, appreciate their efforts and will make the drive from Morgantown, WV gladly just to be there. Sure... it might take a couple years to work a few kinks out but when you have the massive volunteers DARA has I am confident they are going to do everything in their power to make every person attending glad they came. Like everyone, I have my own curiosities and concerns how they will pull it all off as they did at Hara Arena... but the fact is, it doesn't matter... Hara is history. As I look at the Google Earth view of the fairgrounds and hear that the Flea Market is going to be in the track area, I wonder if that means in the grass or actually on the track surface? If the weather is clement, we will be fine in the grass probably... but if it's INclement weather that could prove a soggy challenge as opposed to busted and uneven pavement with rivers of water draining downhill. I heard there will be some large vendor tents and think that is good but wonder about drainage if we get the occasional "toad-strangler" of a rain. I also wonder about the Forums and room size and ability to be able to hear. Needless to say, DARA has committees pondering and plotting for many contingencies and they have my support and appreciation. Our usual gang from the Monongalia Wireless Association are going to be there! Hamvention is Hamvention! The vendors will be there. DARA will be there. Hams will be there, as always... we just may have to hunt around a bit. Explore new places. All the more fun!

WA8FOZ likes this.
  6. KZ2U

KZ2U Ham Member QRZ Page

The late Rod Serling made extra money as an Antioch student testing parachutes for the Air Force at "Xenia International" airport in the 50's. The Twilight Zone came later.

KD2DVY

7. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Free daily parking???. NO OVERNIGHT RV/TRAILER PARKING, free or otherwise. So..., free parking: "OFFSITE: Satellite Parking - at the former Salem Mall located at the corner of Shiloh Springs Road and Salem Avenue. Bus Service (Handicap Equipped) is provided to and from Hamvention. Buses run continuously starting at 7:00 a.m. and complete their routes as quickly as possible. Due to changing trafic patterns and bus loads, an exact bus schedule is impossible. Three-day passes will be available on Friday for $8. Two-day passes will be available on Saturday for $6. A Sunday only one-day pass will be available on Sunday for $4. Bus tickets may only be purchased at the Salem Mall parking area under the Bus Tickets Sales tent and cannot be purchased at Hara Arena. Keep your bus ticket, as there is no limit on the times you may ride the bus per day."

8. WT8WV

WT8WV Ham Member QRZ Page

#FunnelCakesMatter

9. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you may be looking at 2016 information, relating to Hara. The website only has a limited amount of 2017 information so far.

10. N4KCD

N4KCD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Horse Track?

11. W0RUS

W0RUS Ham Member QRZ Page

With all the negative comments on I guess the old Dayton hamfest, I wonder if Hamcation will take the pole position.

12. YF4IHZ

YF4IHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

like's

13. W8BUH

W8BUH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is working now for me to thanks.

14. WW8X

WW8X Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to see they've been forced to move the Hamvention out of that 'hell hole" Hara Arena. That place was once a pretty nice facility, but management stopped putting maintenance money into it years ago and it was falling apart at the seems. Not sure the Greene County Fairgrounds is the best choice of venue. There's a huge building at the Dayton Airport with plenty of parking and wide open area for flea market set-up. I guess they know that but went with Greene County Fairgrounds for some reason. We'll see.

15. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

and to think I'm going to miss all of that