ad: elecraft

Hamvention QSO Party Saturday May 16!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Mar 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

You might want to get a pregnancy test. I think you skipped a period.

KB3SQX likes this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Hopefully you typed that in your special sarcasm font that not many people have on their devices and can't recognize but just in case you are serious... You must be happy 5 out of 7 days of the week with all the silence so why not give other people a chance to enjoy something 2 days out of the week? I've heard from the CDC that the China-virus preys on people being douchenozzles...there is still time for you to change your ways.

People are going to be forced to learn it's "we" and not "me".

3. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now I checked the FAQ page and did not see an answer for this one: I first started going to Dayton in the mid 80s, now was that 1985 or 1987?
    I've have to guess and pick a number in the middle, 86 hi hi.

4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

4 seconds with Wiki: The first Hamvention occurred on March 22, 1952 at the Biltmore Hotel in Dayton (QST March 1952).

5. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems it you cant make people happy. LOL This will be fun!

6. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people like "me" only get to operate on those 2 days of the week.. Can you remember what it's like to have a job? So I turn on the radio - huge contest going on - turn off the radio and walk away. So if it's only 2 days out of the week, why not Wednesday and Thursday - or - Tuesday and Wednesday.. Since the majority of hams are retired, why does it even matter which day of the week it is?

"We," the working people are busy during the week and would love to enjoy contest-less weekends. But since I can't speak for all hams that work (many probably look forward to contest weekends,) my only solution is to forget about operating when contests are going on and enjoy other hobbies. And it's probably good that I don't spend so much time sitting on my arse operating anyway. That's how people lose their youth and physical fitness (plant your ass in a chair and sit there all weekend.)

On another note, some may say that we have WARC bands for the un-contester. Well that's a crock since 60m is 100w max and only 5 channels, 30m is limited with CW and data only -and with power restrictions, and 17m is limited to quick openings with sparse activity (And I know, I know that many will give a qso log with ALL the 17m contacts they've made recently - give me a break.. And I do love 17m by the way.) 20, 40, and 80 are the best bet with the most activity and great for rag chewing. Once the 'tests start, forget about it.

In my opinion, WARC bands should have been created FOR THE CONTESTER, NOT FOR THOSE TRYING TO AVOID THEM!

VE3PKM likes this.
  7. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, but WHEN did I first start going to it in my mid 20's? It is not like I collected the tickets and put them in a box each year?
    Read my question, How do I know when I first started going there which is the year to be returned in the response, not when it started.

Quote author: " The exchange is a signal report and first year you attended Hamvention. If you have never attended Hamvention you send 2020."

Art

8. W8CI

W8CI QRZ Lifetime Member #85 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Dear Ham Friends,

Tim Duffy K3LR pitched this idea to me and solely as a way to honor our 700 plus Hamvention volunteers who put so much into making Hamvention 'The Gathering' of Amateur Radio Folks. All supporters of this event have dropped their Logos from the support pages and you will only see the Hamvention 2020 logo posted. Thank you!

The goal is to meet on the air as we would face to face at Hamvention! A special time to share. And as a reminder, even though we cancelled two months prior to the event many vendors have built their inventories prior to The Gathering. We need to support them and each other as we maneuver through these perilous times.

We are really just a small community in the scheme of things. Please mark your calendars, plan to get on the air, talk about your times at Hamvention. Good and bad, snow or rain, and yes the infamous sewage eruption! And more. Get on the air, this is only for a short time. If only for a few short hours let's come together and celebrate our heritage.

Vy 73 my ham friends!
    Michael W8CI
    Hamvention

G3SEA, K8XG and W1YW like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Art,

If you don't remember, you clearly had one helluva good time!

Chip W1YW

K8XG likes this.
  10. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Well I got your solution. You either need a different job or a better antenna. Relax there is room for everyone. Jesus on a bicycle built for two, you're an extra class so you have more room than most.

11. VE3PKM

VE3PKM Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with contests is that those that operate them have no regard for the rest of us. They crowd in right beside you and start hollering CQ contest. Not caring if they are in your bandpass or not. Contesting like CW and digital modes should be confined to certain segments of the bands. Besides if it were not for us using the bands 5 days a week like said in a earlier post the 2 days of contesting would never happen.

12. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

it should be an all mode sort of run what you brung contest no holds barre like a wild frag party..

13. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks this is another great way to keep the bands active.
    I will be on the air for sure for the QSO party.

14. WU5E

WU5E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They have to keep 6 feet and 6 MHZ separation