ad: k1jek

Hamvention 2019 Building Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Aug 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Henry:
    Thanks for the update, and keep up the battle. The move to Xenia was excellent, and I only see things getting better and better....whereas HARA was on the slippery slope to oblivion for decades. I had more fun at Xenia 2018 than I had at any previous Hamvention.
    73!
    Eric

KF4ZKU, WA8FOZ and N5RFX like this.
  2. W9DBR

W9DBR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with WA4EE!

Dayton is supposed to be the biggest and best Hamfest in the world, yet it is being held virtually outside in a horse and pig fairground out in the country!
    Compared to the Tokyo Hamfest and Hamradio-Friedrichshafen, the Xenia Greene County Fairground venue is a huge embarrasment! I was terribly disappointed in
    the new site in 2017 and 2018.

DARA should seriously consider holding the Hamvention in a professional location such as INSIDE a conference center in Columbus, Ohio. The Huntsville Hamfest, for example,
    is managed very professionally in this manner.

Bob Schumacher W9DBR

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't see any PIGS but I DID see 25,000 friendly HAMS!
    [​IMG]

Ooooiink!

I really enjoyed the country setting.

I had my kicker boots on but nary a poo in sight....

4. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

In scanning the comments on this subject matter, some are in favor of moving this event to a larger city. If this shall come to pass, I and many others, will NOT be in attendance ever again. The larger cities seem to be under the control of gangs. I have yet to see gang warfare break out in Xenia. Better to come prepared with a rain poncho, not a bullet proof vest.

ND6M, W1YW and N5RFX like this.
  5. KE5XA

KE5XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not just move the Dayton Hamvention some where else, call it The Great American Hamvention. If the local political hacks do not want to play nice, move. The Savannah, Ga convention center would be a great place to have it. It is large with a nice hotel next door and plenty of parking lot space. I have been to Dayton on business, lets face it, it is no great not that great. And as for the comment about gang wars, none here but there is a nice beach, a lot of great food and plenty of hotel space. The National Association of Broadcasters went through the same ordeal many years ago and it moved all around the country until Las Vegas came to it's senses.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh man. Las Vegas never 'comes to its senses'. Vegas is like a light bulb/bug zapper to moths: its dangerous but you go anyway.

7. AB0RE

AB0RE Ham Member QRZ Page

For 2019 Hamvention, I’d respectfully ask that burgers/brats be half price, beer be free, and Mother Nature be banned from allowing it to rain.

I really like the new venue and appreciate the Hamvention Committee’s dedication to constant improvement / working out the bugs.

N5RFX likes this.
  8. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure how much cheap tickets have to do with it versus lack of available facilities. A few dollars more on the tickets would not keep most from going. But it would take a huge price increase to build new facilities there. So if you mean $50 0r $100 tickets that would really cut attendance and keep me from buying 10 extra tickets for prizes (which I have never won). The Fairgrounds is one of the largest open areas around but is still just too small. The once promised building would have helped, but that would not solve the flea market issue. Even a very large (and expensive) tent over the flea market would probably not help. At HARA when it rained all weekend the flea market was just about dead. At Orlando when it has rained all weekend the outdoor flea market has been just about dead. But they do have an indoor flea market building also.

Maybe they could pave a large parking area and properly slope it for drainage and have that for the flea market. Remember at HARA only the vendors and some handicap parking was on or near site. All other parking was off site with busses we paid for. County should be able to use paved parking for other events as well. They still need another building or two. And it does not cost anywhere near 2 million to put up a steel building even here in South Florida where we have the toughest building codes in the US.
    Tom AJ4XM

KF4ZKU likes this.
  9. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would pay an extra dollar. But then I would want the advertising covered on the trucks. They have lots of these capabilities, but this has to be planned in advance. Since we know where and when it seems like the companies should be able to do it. And if I saw another company and not mine doing it that might impact my choice next time.
    73, Tom AJ4XM

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom,

If DARA wants to go into details, I am sure they would.

Its my speculation that the fairgrounds wanted to commit DARA to a large number of years to amortize the (exorbitant new building) cost,and that time scale was beyond practical.

Who knows?

Chip W1YW

11. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That answer is in post #50.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

12. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The fact hamfests have to post people at the entrances and check for tickets / badges is a pretty good indicator hams are cheap, and although they claim they'd pay more for a premier venue, they probably would not.

13. N9FDE

N9FDE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really Boy and Girls???!???!?!...... com-on , what else can you find to complain about..... I have been going to Hamvention for over 40 years, I have seen it all .... Rain, Snow, Sleet.... and Yes the S#$T Storm rolling down the parking lot....... What would it take to Satisfy everyone of you?????.... My God..... I hear this every year... "I'M Never Coming Back"...... Hamvention is WAY WAY more than the Flea Market.... or the place it's held at.... It's the biggest gathering of Hams from all over the world.... does that mean the Flea Market????? NO it means getting together with like minded people at places all over the Dayton Area... Hotels, Restaurants, and many other places to ENJOY your Friends from afar ......Yes the market is sometimes wet..... and then again sometimes it's Dry and Hot...... What ever the DARA group is doing to help HAM RADIO is a plus...... they work very hard to put this event on year after year and I for one am VERY thankful for them... None of you complaining have any idea what it takes to make this happen........ maybe things don't always work out the way we want.... Yes I would love to go to Dayton and have Perfect Weather and Sunny Sky's for all to enjoy...... but I am realistic..... the guys and gals that work so hard to put this show on are not happy that it rains either.... but hey, they are trying to make things work better..... ...... so you all complained about HARA for years....... and now your all complaining about this new place...... Could it be better??...Yes!!..... but it's what we have right now...... Give them time!!!.... It took this long to make Hamvention what it was at HARA.... give them some time to sort things out and I'm sure it will get better....there are many things to concider and many Deals that have to be made.... and sometimes things don't always work out but it will come.... So, You can Count on seeing me at Hamvention now and Into the future...... I look forward to it every year with excitement!!!!!!!!

14. WD8SBB

WD8SBB Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think that the Nutter Center would be large enough to cover all the bases of the event, maybe minus parking. However I am sure the cost to rent the facility, and fix the damage, would be prohibitive for the economic side of the event. I don't think WSU would be interested in the situation at the current time of year, but they are having money issues, so they may be approachable. And the local communities buy in of the chaos that the event creates with transportation. All that said, money would fix everything I mention. I am some would pay more, doubt everyone would.

15. K8BBE

K8BBE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem we always have is rain, now mud in the flea market, and that is not growing like it should be, and security. All this can be corrected by DARA moving the show to the Air force base and get a hanger we can put the entire show inside. Think of it, no mud, rain, and Great security for everyone. The Fair grounds are defiantly better than Hara, but only for a few. Outside flea markets are very expensive to the average person but rain ruins it.
    Been setting up in he flea market for over 30 years except last year. Didn't want to deal with all that mud and rain again.