ad: CQMM-1

Hamvention® Award Winner Announcement!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Feb 28, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8KSU

K8KSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamvention spokesperson, Michael Kalter, W8CI Joins Tim, K3LR to announce the 2023 Hamvention Award Winners at the DX Engineering Showroom inside the Summit Racing Equipment Store, Tallmadge, Ohio. Special Guest Carsten Dauer, DM9EE, 2023 Ham of the Year!

Hamvention23-Logo.JPG

VA2SS likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats to the 2023 winners!

Well deserved by all:)

3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is only the third month of 2023. Dayton Hamvention website shows this year's Hamvention to be in May. How then can they be awarding people for things that haven't happened yet?

Or was that supposed to be 2022 awards? I listened to enough of the video to determine, that yes, they are giving out awards for 2023. Seems a bit premature to me, but what do I know?

KD2BBC and KQ1V like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

<deleted quoted post removed by moderator>

I, for one, am proud of Carsten and thank him for his efforts. I will be attending Hamvention.

No doubt Carsten's efforts saved lives. That is not a political decision.

No one will be kicking anyone in the butt. The world is far too violent at present to use such allusions merely to disagree.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2023
  5. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Solo efforts are not helpful. Makes it more and more complicated. So technical equipment like transceivers and communication receivers from self-righteous groups are a taboo.

6. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, I won the PowerBall in August of 2023!

W9EBE and KD2BBC like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

'Groups' are often slower, less focused, and occasionally corrupt. The fact that Carsten's efforts were ACCEPTED and APPRECIATED by the end users indicates that the MECHANISM for delivery is irrelevant as long as the objective was acheived.

We are proud of Carsten.

Chip W1YW

K3SX, KD8OCT and W0PV like this.
  8. DO1FER

You are an American. You really dont understand what it means to live near to the east and that conflict. You never saw a MIG fly above your house, because "it got lost" in the fog. I saw it by myself in the 80s here in western Germany. Do you believe in, that the region was so happy about that visitor?

And if you like to enter personal in those conflicts, equal where it happens, than you are a mentally low-flowing aircraft for me.

KX4BE and KQ1V like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am well aware of events outside of my country. This is not a forum for such lectures.

You are not aware of any of my experiences. I am definitely not insular,nor have been, although I confess I have slowed down a bit with senior status.

Chances are the MIG you refer to was seen by radar before it flew over your house. Ask yourself how that was/is possible, in 2023. There is no fogbank to hide in.

My personal perspicacity is not a valid topic for this forum, and allusions to aircraft on my mentality are opaque and out of place here.

Carsten undertook a humanitarian mission invoking amateur radio, at risk to his personal welfare, and is being recognized by the world wide radio amateur community for that.

Wishing you the best,

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    NK9Y, W7DGJ and K3SX like this.
  10. K2GW

K2GW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess you've never gone to Hamvention. The Hamvention awards are always announced in February for presentation at that years Hamvention in May. The nomination period ends Feb 1 each year.

So these are the announcement of the forthcoming "2023 Hamvention Awards", just like the ones given last year were the "2022 Hamvention Awards". It nice to let the recipients know in advance so they make travel arrangements to be at the ceremony. ;-)

Gary, K2GW

11. K2GW

K2GW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BTW, check out the Delaware Valley Radio Association' s webpage at www.w2zq.com to get ideas for varied activities to help your club grow. www.w2zq.com

Gary, K2GW

12. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be a correct guess on your part OM. Never had a reason to go and really see no point to it since we're so far away. But, thanks for the enlightenment! I need all the help I can get...

13. DO1FER

Chip, please read my text well before you answer. I told you about the MIG which was in the 80s. No illusions, just a fact. The GDR was near to my QTH, just about 60 km away. How fast is such a jetfighter? Ask yourself, because you should know.

At last I want to show you the latest situation here in Europe on the shortwave bands. When this is your favorite, you are really far away from reality or nice HAM-Radio. And dont say that the equipment is or was for peaceful use only. Maybe in the first thoughts. But who use this devices now?

https://www.iaru-r1.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/IARUMS-R1-Newsletter-2023-02.pdf

Wish you the best, too. And take your patriot flag out of your face. Makes things much more clearer.

Cornelius - DO1FER

KQ1V likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not interested in continuing this. I made my point clear: there is a reason the Ham of the Year is awarded to Carsten. READ my prior post as it is all there. Please do not contact me on this subject.

To wit, as already stated:

"Carsten undertook a humanitarian mission invoking amateur radio, at risk to his personal welfare, and is being recognized by the world wide radio amateur community for that."

K3SX likes this.
  15. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Still puzzled at when the award period started for 2023.

Everyone here suspects foul play.